Human

I grabbed Paige's arm and pulled her off the bar stool

I grabbed Paige's arm and pulled her off the bar stool. Hailey and Racheal were both clutching their heads, waiting for the Asprin to kick in so they didn't notice me dragging Paige away.

"What the hell!" She said pulling her arm from my grasp.

"Don't what the hell me! What the hell you!" I yelled back at her and pulled her outside and onto the beach.

"You told!" I accused.

"I told who, what!?" She said fixing the sleeve of her pajamas.

"You told Theo about what I told you last night." I said in a harsh whisper.

"Sydney, I don't remember anything about last night but I think I would remember calling my boyfriend."

"So you don't remember me telling you about Ryan?" I asked with wide eyes.

"What about Ryan?" She asked. God, she really didn't remember.

"That doesn't matter now. I need to know if you told Theo what I told you." I said and bolted into the house. I ran past the two girl still clutching their heads. I picked up Paige's phone and looked at her recent calls.

"What are you doing?" She asked trying to get her phone back.

"I'm calling Theo."

"Call him on your own phone." She said and reached for hers again.

"I'm sorry, I didn't think that I would need his number. I don't have it." I pressed call and held the phone to my head while Paige just huffed.

"Paige?" Theo asked in a husky voice. I had obviously woke him up.

"Nope, try again."

"Why do you have Paige's phone, Sydney?" He asked sounding more awake.

"What did Paige tell you last night?" She called you drunk.

"Oh, yeah. Sorry to hear about Ryan." My heart dropped. Dammit.

"You told Dallas." I said in a flat tone.

"It might have slipped out when I was talking to him last night. I'm s-," I hung up on him and sat Paige's phone down on the bed, although I wanted to throw it at the wall.

"Will you tell me what is going on, now, please?" Paige begged.

"Ryan cheated on me," before she could gasp and go on her rant again I put my hand over her mouth. "And you weren't supposed to tell anyone about it. I'm taking care of it and you went and told Theo and then he told Dallas."

"So what if Dallas knows about it? What does that matter?" She asked sitting down on the bed beside me.

"You don't know?" I asked looking at her incredulously.

"Obviously I don't know a lot of things!" She said getting frustrated.

"I used to date Dallas. I broke up with him before you got here and then started dating Ryan shortly before you moved here."

"Oh, I thought you were just always with Ryan. Why did you break up with Dallas?"

"He just became really possessive. He was jealous over the slightest thing. It just became too much. We started dating Freshman year so I was dealing with him for three years, but I loved him. I loved him a lot, but he wasn't good for me. He was too toxic.

So when I broke up with him I was heartbroken. I was friends with Ryan at the time and I guess he helped me through the breakup and we just started dating, I guess. It was refreshing, being with Ryan. He didn't try to control me like Dallas did."

"I'm sorry, Sydney. I didn't mean to tell anybody. I was drunk and I'm really sor-,"

"It's fine. I'm not mad. I just need to know that Dallas isn't going to do anything irrational."

"What would he do?" She asked.

"I'm not sure but I'm going to find out." I stood and was about to go out in the living room.

"Wait." I stopped and turned around. "You're going to get revenge, right?" She asked. I was honestly surprised. I get why drunk Paige was in agreement but sober Paige I thought might try to stop me from any kind of attack.

"Of course I am."

"If you need help, call me."

"Thanks, Paige." I then turned and went to the living room. I retrieved my phone and pressed call on the number that I was assuming was Dallas' number.

I took the phone outside to avoid Racheal and Hailey who were now having a conversation without snapping at each other.

The phone rang

and rang

and then it picked up. My breath caught in my throat. He picked up the phone.

"Sydney?" He asked, his voice was raw and raspy.

"Dallas." I said, my voice breathless. Get a grip! There was silence over the line for a minute. Just the sound of us breathing, not knowing what to say.

"You-,"

"I-,"

We started talking at the same time. My face was burning. Why was I acting this way? I took a breath and regained my ability to communicate. He's just a human, like me.

He's the human that you were deeply in love with.

He's the human that you broke up with.

Yeah, I was in loved with him and yeah, I broke up with him but he was also the person that broke my heart when he became the person he did.

"Ryan is cheating on me." I whispered. While waiting for his response I was playing with the hem of my sweater.

"I know, baby," He sounded wounded, in pain. "And for that, I'll kill him." Anger coursed through me.

"No. You don't have the right to care about me. Not anymore."

"Sydney, it was you who broke up with me. It was you who said you didn't care about me. I never said I would care about you anymore. I'll always care about you."

And this was the real Dallas, ladies and gentlemen. The one that cared for people. The one I fell in love with, but not the one I broke up with.

The Dallas I broke up with was rude, possessive, demanding. All the things that qualify him as a royal douche bag.

But in reality I knew that they were the same person. Dallas was just pretending to be one and I have yet to figure out which person he truly is.

"I didn't call to makeup with you. I called to make sure you weren't going to tell anyone about it, especially Ryan."

"You mean you haven't told him that you know?!"

"I have it under control. Bye, Dallas."

"Don't-,"

Too late. I already hung up on him. I know he wouldn't tell anyone about Ryan. He always respected something I felt strongly about.

I could only hope that he still did.

"Who was that?" Hailey said, stumbling out of the house and onto the beach.

"My mother. it wasn't anything important. She just wanted to tell me she loved me and to be safe." I lied yet again to my best friend. I guess lying is what made us human.

"Okay, let's try to enjoy the rest of the day. My headache is fading and I want to go swimming."

I nodded and followed behind her into the house to change into my swim suit. I was going to swim the thought of Dallas away along with the thought of Ryan. It was time to have fun and enjoy the last day at the beach before senior year.