six

"What the hell," Jasmine muttered, stunned. She watched as the enormous thurnak clawed and roared and frightened people out of their wits.
"Come on Jaz!" Hannah yelled over everything grabbing Jasmine's arm and pulling her out of her trance.

Orange flames sparked around the village and stood out immensly in the night sky. Screaming echoed throughout the jungle and the air was thickening with ashy gases exceptionally quickly.

Despite the air pollution, Jasmine was breathing normally and was able to keep up with her friends. She looked over her shoulder to see the thurnak tearing up an area of thatch huts not far from where she was. Jasmine gulped as the mutant bellowed and this encouraged her to move faster.

Desperate to get away from the angry thurnak, Jasmine sped past Hannah, Izzabeth and even Adam who was up front due to his longer legs. Her chest tightened with every step she took and she was too occupied on the thurnak nearing them to see a burning log fleeting right in her direction.

"Hey look out!" Izzabeth shouted over the racket, pointing in front of Jasmine. Jasmine skidded to a halt and her eyes widened the second she layed eyes on the log. Given no time to react, Adam grabbed Jasmine's arm and yanked her away milliseconds before the flaming wood would've hit her.

Hannah and Izzabeth were forced to stop as the log smashed directly in front of them. Their faces illuminated as the flames intensified.
"This is insane!" Hannah cried, her eyes filled with fear.

No one spoke a word. They all breathed unevenly with char covered faces and shaking hands. Jasmine looked from Adam, who was still gripping her arm in shock, to the log to Hannah to the thurnak, which was nearing alarmingly close.

"We need to go now!" She exclaimed loudly.
"Where?! Jasmine, there is no where to go!" Jasmine panicked for a moment.

She looked to Izzabeth and Adam. They knew this place better than anyone, they must know somewhere they could hide until this mayhem passed.
"Why are you looking at me?!" Izzabeth spoke over the noise.
"You must know--" The thurnak bawled deafeningly as it trampled over countless huts and tore off roofs with it's pointed teeth.

"Nevermind hiding, we need to go right now or we're gonna be burnt human kebabs!" Adam shouted before taking off into a sprint. Having little choice, Jasmine, Hannah and Izzabeth followed him.

The four helped each other through burning homes, around terrified people and on the odd occasion they pushed each other out of the way of flying debris, wood or anything that could do damage. Despite their aching limbs, they didn't stop until they reached the edge of the village.

Adam came to a halt just in front of a bamboo wall with a symbol painted on the face. It was a diamond, a very simple one, and it was inside a tilted square. Something Jasmine had never encountered in her time here.

The girls stopped beside Adam, their lungs heaving, and gazed up at the symbol unknowingly.

"Hey! Where do you think you're going?"
Alarmed, Jasmine swivelled around and sensed the others do the same.

A boy, whom Jasmine had never seen before, stood gripping a sword firmly. He was a fraction shorter than Adam and his hair was indescribable due to the amount of char and dust stuck in it. Hell, he looked like a hut had collapsed on him.