•٢•

'Sarah!!'

3541 head immediately shot up awake at the sound of her name. She got too used to the possessive name humans gave her.

'What?' She replied rubbing her weary eyes and stirred, standing up straighter.

'The captain is asking for you.' Smiled 2630, although not a genuine one.

Sarah or 3541 entered soundlessly the makeshift tent. The fabric hung loosely around rusted steel nails. A bendable table placed at the corner, with a thick sheet positioned on it.

The captain didn't acknowledge her entrance, too busy reading something. Only when she coughed did he rose up from his seat to greet her.

'Good morning, hope you slept well?' his tone indicated disinterest and impatience.

Sarah gave him a detest-full glare. She never trusted him. He all to suddenly supported them after he believed in greater cause and worked side by side with the enemy. Stating that it was a cover so no one could suspect him, he joined the underground rebellious group. Used his experience in flying aircrafts to charm the leaders. He got in way too easily.

He gestured her to sit on empty vacuum as there weren't any seats or chairs of any kind. Folding her arms, she didn't obey, kept standing and massaged her bruised forearm. 158 took it as a message to start speaking.

Pacing around the place, he actually seemed uncomfortable with his hands in jeans pockets.

'I-I wanted a favor.'

Now Sarah was intrigued, she arched an eyebrow and shifted her weight.

'I have been commanded to fly an old rusted piece of metal with chosen members of the cult. An engineer, a doctor who brought her son, a geologist, archeologist and you.'

He stopped for a second and glanced at me before he broke again.

'I have been introduced as the captain and been kicked out without a solid plan. I came here not knowing what I had do exactly. Everyone had a job to do but I-'

He now avoided her glance.

'My job ended when I flied here. After all I am just the pilot.'

3541 stood there dumbfounded while waiting for him to elaborate. When no valid explanation came she had to ask.

'And you want...'

'And I want you to take over and lead this 'little' journey.' he said seriously without a hint of sarcasm. Tapping his foot impatiently, he waited for a response.

Sarah tried to grasp the information given to her. She is finally being given the opportunity to turn the table and take charge. It was useless though. She knew they were abandoned members that the group or (The insiders as they like to call themselves) sent them to a non-returning journey and left them there. Alone.

To the enemies once habitat.

3541 eyed him thoughtfully, she opened her mouth to say something but nothing came out. 158 took it as a clue.

'Don't you understand? Everyone has a job but they sent you too. What is yours huh? You were meant to lead this from the very beginning.'

'I got it.' She added a little too hurriedly. 'I  have to go now.' And she exited with that.
{*}

Spread kindness and vote, comment.
Stay cool 😎.