☀︎Six

I dedicate this chapter to simplytayler and OmgxCrissy!! Y'all's comments and votes are very much appreciated and have really inspired me for this story! So thank y'all so much for the love!
😩😭😍☺️

"progressus"

WHEN Skylar heard a knock at the door, her brow immediately furrowed in confusion. It was eleven at night, and she knew for a fact that her parents were asleep in the neighboring room after they kicked her and Andrea out an hour earlier. Andrea had then dozed off with the tv on, and Devin, Jr. fell asleep as soon as she'd finished reading one of his favorite books to him, Oh the Places You'll Go by Dr. Seuss. The only reason she was even awake was because of worry. Like a typical mother who just happened to be in an atypical situation.

Devin told her to come over with her family around eleven for brunch the next morning, and her mind began to wander soon after reading that text. What would she say to Devin's parents? How would they even respond to seeing DJ when they came over? How was Davon going to announce this situation to the media? And once he did, how would her and DJ be affected? Would Devin be the kind and caring Devin she'd experienced? Or the mean as hell one he seemed to switch to with ease? Or the one who wanted to flirt with her and kiss her all the way back to older, fonder memories of them?

The door knocked once more, and Skylar finally snapped out of her thoughts enough to get up and check the peephole. She had a sharp intake of breath when she laid eyes on Devin's face. What could he possibly want at this hour? Skylar took a few deep breaths before she opened the door. She was still trying to process everything he'd done for her and her family today that was such a shock to her after the way he'd spoken to her on the phone the day before.

"Hey," she greeted him softly.

When his eyes met hers, her heart skipped a beat, and she clenched her jaw, wondering if that would always be her knee-jerk response when she saw him. Why did he have the power to make her weak with just a look all these years later?

"Hey," Devin answered in his dangerously low voice, "Can we talk?"

"Uh, sure...where do you want to go? DJ and Andrea are asleep in here..."

"That's ok, I know where we can go," Devin replied.

"Ok, let me just change right quick," Skylar answered.

Devin bit his lip as he watched her walk away, mesmerized as usual by her body that was barely covered by short pajama shorts and a tank top. He shook his head left and right, once again reminded of why they had a child who currently slept a few feet away before trying to quickly rid his mind of such thoughts and refocus on why he came to see Sky. He softly exhaled with relief when she reappeared more covered up in a UK sweatshirt that almost came down to her knees, black yoga pants, and some moccasin slippers.

They walked in silence, preoccupied with the worry and anxiety that brewed between them as Devin lead the way to the hotel's restaurant and bar that was starving for business at 11pm on a Monday night. The hostess thankfully led them to a private area, towards the back of the bar, took their drink orders, and left.

"How was your flight?" Devin asked, not knowing how else to start this conversation that had been weighing on his heart.

Skylar refrained from raising her eyebrow. She was slightly confused by Devin's line of questioning as if they were just old friends getting drinks at a bar. But she went with it.