And What Do I Get, Guard Duty.

"Catch, Levi!"
"I got it! I got it!"
Two children happily ran after the other in the cold Hold of Falkreath, unphased by the snowflakes blowing on their faces or frost nipping at their noses. The two nord boys tossed a bright red ball at the other, and back again, in a game of catch. It was fun and games until the boy with the red tunic known as Levi took a foul step with his left foot, his shoe catching on the jagged stone under him as he tripped and landed forward, upon his chest.
"Ow!" He exclaimed, rolling onto his back, and pulling himself up. "Noah, wait up!" He called out, coddling his left knee as if it was broken, yet it wasn't actually so.
The boy known as Noah, whom had long black hair and a dark complexion, skidded on the heel and turned back to his playmate. "Levi!" He called out, returning to his fallen play-partner, dropping down on his knees. "You look hurt. Is your knee okay?" He inquired, staring seriously at the blonde boy, who nodded.
"I'm fine, I just took a bad step. I'm well now!" He smiled, standing up once more with the help of his partner.
"You kids really should be careful, you wouldn't want your dear mother to be worried sick," stated a passing Guardswoman, whom was followed by a Guardsman. "We will, we will..." said the two boys, looking down at their dirty shoes before risking a glance up and exclaiming in unison,
"It's Skeever!"
"That is not my name!" The agitated Guardsman stated, hesitant to shout at the children, so he kept his voice mellow. "And besides, how do you keep knowing it's me?" "Because Laura carved a heart into your shield!" "I've noticed by now, yes, thank you. I mean how do you keep knowing it's me the second you spy me?" "The way you carry your shield, all who look at you see it about you first, and see the small red heart in the center."
"I suppose it's true," he sighed, realizing his patrol partner had walked ahead of him.
"Eurla, wait!" He called after the nord woman, jogging to catch up. "Bye, Skeever!" The two boys called after him, teasing.
"My name is Scorn! It's truthfully Scorn!" He huffed back at the rascals as they ran off into the Hold, resuming their fun games.
"Don't let them get to you," the tall and lean Guardswoman stated simply as he caught up to her side, his heavy armor slowing him down.
"I hate the name Skeever. It makes me sound like a bad person."
"You are a bad person," The woman said calmly, eying the Hold she protects. "You are a terrible nord. You sure you aren't a pale imperial?"
"I'm pretty sure, thanks," Skeever said, crossing his arms as he walked with her.
"But Scorn sounds absolutely nothing like Skeever, I'll have you know, I've never even seen a skeever before." "Do you suppose that's why the town gave you this name? Or is it because your real name is so terrible, they gave you a new one?" "That doesn't make me feel any better." "It's not intended to." "Damn you, Eurla." "I love you too, Skeever."
The two Guards took their new posts by the entrance to Falkreath Hold, leaning against the wood. "My cousin's out there, fighting dragons. What do we get?" Eurla stated, staring off into the distance. "Guard duty."
"We need to get coin in our purses somehow."
"Nothing ever happens, though! I want to get money doing something I love, not something I hate. And I love exploring, and adventuring! And I hate doing nothing all damn day."
"Quiet yourself or you might wake up Tiber Septim," Skeever joked. "But... I see your point."
"Of course you do, it's in a nord's blood to explore the land! Not like those dirty elves that stay in one place their whole life."
"I mean about the Guarding, not about the exploring."
"So you don't wish to explore Tamriel with me?"
"What do you mean?" "I'm leaving the Guard."
"You're bluffing."
"Have I ever been one to bluff, Scorn?"
"No, I... suppose not."
"You act like you've never ridden a horse through the mountains." "It could come off like that, yes..." Truely, Skeever had never ridden a horse in his life. He never deemed himself worthy of such a beast as a horse. And even if he had, he could never muster the courage to come close to it. Not in his life.
"I'm going to leave. Tell the other Guardswomen I said goodbye." "Where are you going?"
"I'm going to Hammerfell. I have family there. I will return here years later, maybe, wearing armor of dragon bone." "Dragon armor doesn't exist." "I will make it exist."
"You were always so arrogant. I feel I cannot stop you from going."
"Because you can't."
"Well... Then be off," Skeever stated quietly, glancing about. His patrols wouldn't be the same without the tall nord to talk to. "Before I go, have my amulet." "Your necklace?" "Yes. I want you to have it, to remember me by." "I... Thank you."
Eurla took off her helmet, letting her curly red hair bounce free from it being held up so long with the helm, sliding her Amulet of Talos from around her neck and setting it in Skeever's outstretched palm. "Take good care of it." She set her helm on the grass where her post once was, and started to walk off.
"Have safe travels, sister in arms!" Skeever called out after her. "I hope you join me sometime!" Eurla hollered back to him, as she turned around a tree and vanished.
Skeever had never heard from her again.

The second part to this, A Good Bandit Raid'll be coming out soon enough. I've come back from my hiatus on Wattpad!