Chapter Three: Family Bonds.

"Libby, can we just sit down for breakfast like a normal family?" Mama asks, placing her hands on her hips and frowning at me as I race to slip on a pair of my scruffy loafers.

I freeze and look up at my mother, flashing her my most innocent smile. But Mama doesn't buy into it, she just continues to looks down at me, shaking her head.

"But Mama, I promised Jasper that I'd-" I try to reason with her, but she interrupts me,

"You spend all day with Jasper, you can spare one hour to spend quality time with your family," She remarks, holding out her hand for me to grab onto.

My mind goes to Jasper, who's probably already waiting underneath our apple tree. Knowing him, he's probably going to be sick with worry. But there's no way Mama is going to let me out of this one.

I grumble under my breath as I slip out of my dirty, brown loafers that are hand-me-downs from my cousin Izabel. She's two shoe-sizes larger than me, but I don't really mind. I only wear them when I'm going down to the docks. It drives Mama mad whenever I wear them. She says they make me look like an Obdachlose; a homeless person.

I drag my feet across our rickety, wooden floors over to my designated seat at the table. As much as I want to be angry that Mama is forcing me to stay, I can't help but to smile at the table full of warm food. The smell of fresh bread fills my nostrils and makes my mouth water.

I reach across the table to pick up a roll that still has steam waifing off of it, but Mama slaps my wrist,

"Nein," She points a finger at me, giving me a warning with her firm look.

"I'm a prisoner in my own house, I swear!" I exclaim, throwing my hands in the air, slouching in my chair. Mama walks back into the kitchen, the corners of her lips turning up. But that only makes me scowl more.

"Aren't you just a bucket of cheer this morning," Matthieu comments, observing my bitter expression, "Wait, what is this I see? Libby is actually home? What's the emergency?" He fakes panic, running around the dining room rather clumsily.

"Real funny," I roll my eyes, crossing my arms.

Matthieu is rather shy when in school or in town, but at home we can't get him to shut up! He never fails to supply a smart comment to everything we say. Everything I do is later ridiculed by him. Some days I could clock him over the head, but for the most part, I love him.

"Why don't you spend times with any girls? You're not getting any younger, Matthieu, you know." I taunt him, smiling smugly at him.

Just like I knew it would, his cheeks turn a deep scarlet. Matthieu is the most shy boy I've ever seen around girls. He's very quick-witted at home, but if you put a pretty girl in front of him, he'll say the stupidest stuff I've heard. It always entertained me to go into town with him.

He peeks around the corner to be sure Mama wasn't watching and flips me the bird. I kindly return the gesture, but of course, right as I flash that offensive finger, Papa turns around the corner.

"Lisbeth!" He gasps, using my full first name, which makes me sit up straight in my seat, sitting on my hands.

"Matthieu did it first!" I shout, trying to play the innocent child. I open my big brown eyes all wide and bat my eyelashes.

"You dirty little rat!" Matthieu shouts at me, racing over to put me in a headlock, like always. 

I jump out of my seat, sprinting across the kitchen, nearly knocking Mama over in the process. I let out a little squeal as Matthieu nearly grabs hold of my dress, but I dart out of his grip at the last second.