CHAPTER 11: REVELATION OF THE OMNIPRESENT

CHAPTER 11: REVELATION OF THE OMNIPRESENT

In the last chapter Krishn gave only a brief account of his outstanding glories, but Arjun thought complacently that he had known enough. He, therefore, averred that after listening to Krishn’s words he was rid of all his delusions. At the same time, however, as he admits in the present chapter, he is curious to know what Krishn has told him before in a more tangible form. Hearing is as different from seeing as the east is from the west. When a seeker endeavours towards his destination to see it with his own eyes, what he knows then may be quite different from that which he had visualized. So when Arjun has a direct vision of God, he begins to tremble with fear and beg for mercy. Does an enlightened man know fear? Is he left with any further curiosity? The fact of the matter is that what is known at just the intellectual level is at best vague and undefined. At the same time, however, it definitely prompts to a desire for true knowledge. So Arjun entreats Krishn.

1. “Arjun said, ‘The compassionate words with which you have instructed me in the secret and most exalted knowledge have dispelled my ignorance.”’

What Krishn has told him of the relation between the Supreme Spirit and the individual Soul has allayed his delusions and filled him with the light of knowledge.

2. ‘‘For I have learnt from you, O the lotus-eyed, not only a detailed account of the origin and dissolution of beings, but also of your imperishable glory.’’

He fully believes the truth of what Krishn has told him, and yet-

3. “You are, O Lord, what you have told me, but I wish, O Supreme Being, to have a direct vision of your form in all its divine magnificence.”

Not satisfied with what he has learnt only by hearing, he wishes to see it in a palpable form.

4. “Show me, O Lord, your eternal form if you consider, O Yogeshwar, that it is possible to see it.’’

Krishn does not object to this request because Arjun is his devoted pupil and beloved friend. So he readily grants his prayer and reveals his cosmic form.

5. “The Lord said, ‘Behold, O Parth, my hundreds and thousands of various celestial manifestations of different hues and forms.”’

6.“See in me, O Bharat, the sons of Aditi[101], the Rudr, the Vasu[102] , the Ashwin brothers[103], and the Marut[104], as well as numerous other marvellous forms that have not been seen before.”

[101]Represented in mythology as a mother of gods who are known as Aditya, twelve in number, after her.

[102]The name of a class of deities, eight in number.

[103]The two physicians of gods and represented as twin sons of the Sun-god.

[104]Marut is the god of wind but in the plural form the word may be understood as meaning host of gods.

7. ‘Now, O Gudakesh, see in my body at this one place the whole animate and inanimate world, and whatever else you desire to know.”

Thus the Lord continues to manifest his form through three consecutive verses, but the poor Arjun cannot see anything. He can only rub his eyes in bewilderment. Krishn notices Arjun’s predicament, stops abruptly, and says:

8. “But since you cannot see me with your physical eyes, I grant you divine vision with which you may behold my magnificence and the might of my yog.’’

Arjun is blessed with spiritual vision by Krishn’s grace. And, in an exactly similar fashion, Sanjay, the charioteer of Dhritrashtr, is also blessed with divine sight by Yogeshwar Vyas’ compassion[105].