Twenty-Five: Tossing, Turning, and Whispered Conversations

Skylar didn't leave her room for the rest of the day. Not because she was sulking or pouting, but because she wanted to respect Leo's wishes of wanting her gone. He didn't want to see her, and he didn't want her so see Orion. She'd heard the way Orion and Leo were screaming at one another over her. Nana had slipped into her room just after the yelling had started. She simply wrapped and arm around Skylar and sat with her on the bed quietly. It was exactly the kind of comfort Skylar needed, just someone to hold on to her. After Nana had left, she'd sat in the room, waiting for someone to come tell her what was going to happen next, because she had a feeling she wasn't going to be staying in the house.

She was bored out of her mind. 

She was so bored, she knew that there were exactly twenty-five pieces of wood that made up the ceiling, and that the average number of knots per piece of wood was six. The quilt on her bed could only be folded ten different ways, and her pillows only got fluffy enough after three punches. Two wasn't enough, and four began to flatten them again. She also knew that if the room were hers for real, she would spend a lot more time decorating and personalizing.

It wasn't as if she had things to pack now. The only thing she'd brought with her was her dress, and that was currently in Victoria's closet. Skylar doubted she'd ever get it back. Her shift was draped over the back of one of the chairs by the fire, but it wasn't as though that would be difficult to grab on her way out. She didn't have any knick knacks or books or anything that could be forgotten. The room itself was bare other than the bed, two chairs by the fire, and a wardrobe. She felt like she was the first person to use the room in a long time, and she hadn't spent much time awake in it since she'd arrived. If she had, she would have asked for a book or even sewing to occupy her time. She hated that she was too afraid, too ashamed, to leave the room, but she didn't want to cause any more rifts in the family. She already felt horrible that she'd come between Leo and Orion. It had been apparent to her right from the beginning how much the two cared for each other, and how much Orion looked up to his father. That she made Orion have to fight with his hero... she had to apologize to him. 

She also missed the brute dearly. This was the longest she'd gone without talking to him since he'd found her, and she found herself longing for his company. She thought about him and what he might be doing nearly all day. She knew he wasn't in the house; he'd left shortly after arguing with Leo and she hadn't heard him return.

She looked out her window and saw the sun was just above the edge of the cliffs, which made it dinner time. She wasn't hungry; she hadn't had an appetite since Leo had summoned her. She could smell someone making dinner downstairs, and, based on the footsteps, she thought it was Victoria. Skylar wondered if she should go down and join her, but it might upset Leo if he discovered her so close to his pregnant mate. She debated for a moment, but decided against it. As much as she wanted company, she didn't want to invite Leo's wrath down upon her. When the front door opened and heavy footsteps entered, she was incredibly glad she'd stayed upstairs. 

"Victoria," Leo's voice reached her ears, muffled through the wood of the door. His tone was pleading, almost desperate, and Skylar's curiosity was piqued. She urged the door open a crack and sat on the floor next to it. She knew eavesdroppers never heard anything good, but she couldn't help it. She considered listening to this conversation a survival tactic. She had to know what was going to happen to her so she could prepare for it. 

"Honey, please," Leo pleaded once again. "Look at me."

A pot slammed down on the counter. "Why, so you can ignore me once again?" Victoria snarled. "I can't say I particularly want to speak with you at the moment." 

"I'm sure not," he answered, and Skylar heard him take two steps into the kitchen. "But can you at least listen?"

"I don't know if I want to do that either. I can't say I'm very proud to be your mate after today. How can you send that poor girl out to fend for herself? Leo, she's just learning how to be a dragon, she can't handle Draco on her own. And the way you treated Orion..."