Twenty-Seven: The Messenger Arrived

He'd missed her terribly.

He hadn't realized just how much until he saw her lovely face light up at the sight of him. Her huge smile and bright eyes eased every worry he'd had upon getting Nana and Olly to bring her to him. His dragon, who had been sulkier than usual, immediately tried to take over to greet the female he's missed so much. Orion held him back, telling him he'd get his chance.

"Orion!" Skylar laughed, advancing toward him. Pieces of her fiery hair had escaped the braid she'd pulled it into and were floating around her face, framing it and giving her a slightly wild look. Her cheeks were flushed with exertion and excitement. She was beautiful.

"Hey," he answered just as brightly. He wondered if she'd missed him as much as he'd longed for her company. He'd never experienced longing like that before, and it was incredibly unnerving, but he hadn't shied away from it. He had a feeling he knew what it meant, but he was too afraid to think it let alone say it out loud to anyone. His dragon was a huge instigator for the feeling, the beast was far more tuned to the primal, instinctual feelings that were a constant presence in their life now, and there was no way for Orion to stop them from overflowing into his human side as well.

Before either of them realized what was happening, and Orion had no idea who had initiated it, Skylar was wrapped in his arms and pressed tightly against his chest. She fit there perfectly, and if he weren't mistaken, she cuddled closer. He thought it was just wishful thinking until he heard her inhale deeply.

She was smelling him. Perhaps her dragon, and maybe even she, had similar feelings as he himself did. He hugged her tighter, locking her in his grasp.

She seemed to realize what she was doing and jumped away from him. Not too fast that he would be offended, not too offended anyway, but she didn't linger.

She tucked her hair behind her ear after glancing back at Nana and Olly, the former with a suspiciously smug smile on her face. He forgot about them as she looked up at him with those blue eyes.

"How are you?"

"Good," he nodded. "It's been a long week, but it's better now."

She grinned. "Yes, much better now."

Their words were slightly forced, maybe even a little awkward, and he had a feeling it was because of their audience. He sent a pointed look to his brother and grandma.

"You guys can go now," he told them. "Thank you for bringing her here."

Olly chuckled. "You don't have long until Dad figures out that he hasn't seen either of you in a while, but we'll hold him off as long as we can."

Orion nodded, although the last thing he was worried about was his father. Nana just smiled and led Olly back the way they came. Orion's focus was back on Skylar before they were even out of sight.

"Hungry?" he asked, motioning to the blanket and food he laid out next to the water. She nodded and allowed him to lead her over to the food.

She didn't speak until after she'd taken a bite of the cheese he had handed her. "How long did you have this planned out?"

"Just since this morning," he answered. He didn't want to tell her why, even though he knew he'd have to. He just wanted to stay here with her for as long as he could without the worries of tomorrow overwhelming them.

"It was a good idea," she said softly. "I missed you."

His pride swelled in his chest at the knowledge. It was nice, knowing that the person you had missed had missed you as well. And this was different than his family; they were obligated to want him around when he was away. Skylar had no such obligations.