Prologue

The waves that crashed down on my nimble body were unbearable. With every crash made, they somehow chose to have me below every single one of them. Like they were taunting me.

I struggled to catch my breath as my head bobbed under the salty ocean.

I need to get to shore and find him. He could be anywhere!

Not being able to completely stay above death, I started coming up for short gasps of air and plummeting not too far down.

Where is he? Please be ok. Come on, use your legs, Rae. Just a little faster!

I caught my breath on a sound that was similar to a hiccup. My throat felt as if sandpaper was feverishly rubbed against it. It made me wish that at some point in my life I had taken the initiative to learn how to swim. But even now I didn't have much time to dwell on it, the thought of finding any time to breathe was much more prevalent.

Thankfully, the water seemed to slightly calm after a while, allowing me to relax a little and focus on staying afloat. 

With all of my strength, my arms pushed forward in the water successfully whirling me around. back and forth my head went, intensely studying my surroundings to see if there was anything I could hang on to. Floating debris from the ship was as far as the eye can see, though none of it was large enough to hold me. And worst of all, there was still no sign of my dad or my brother.

"DAD! WHERE ARE YOU?" I screamed as loud as I could muster before my lungs were dreadfully filled again.

My body screeched in pain, I felt as if I were treading this ocean for hours. But in reality, it was only minutes.

The fire atop the boat was practically dancing across the rooftop. Even in the cold, I'm still able to feel the intense heat on my bare skin. As I tried not to waste time by gawking at the incredulous sight, I kept searching for my brother.

"Help! Someone help!" My voice was slowly losing its volume until all that came out was a raspy croak. My attempts were useless, they weren't anywhere to be found.

The endless waters seemed to get deeper as my attempts at treading became weaker than before. I couldn't keep it up for much longer.

Just when I hoped that things wouldn't get any worse, another explosion boomed. The sound echoed around me as the waves gradually became rough again.

The remaining parts from the ship came flying in different directions across the sky. Some came rocketing towards my area at a record speed and I ended up ducking just in time before a giant pipe smashed my skull open.

I couldn't tell if I was near the shore, or if help was even coming at all. At this point, I couldn't hope for it. I scanned the area in the little time I had before a wave enveloped my head. 

I went under. Two Seconds passed.

Four seconds.

Seven Seconds.

I was about to reach nine when I was remarkably able to resurface. My lips greedily accepting the air, I went into a hysterical coughing fit.

My heart was beating so incredibly fast. It's all too much. I can't handle this, I'm gonna die.

Going into a panic, tears flowed from my eyes freely and blurred my vision. I was left completely helpless. Nobody would know where I was. It wouldn't matter anyway. If I called for my brother, he wouldn't hear me at all. 

Is he even staying afloat? Did he go ashore and run for help?

Is he alive?

My body started to fight against my movements, the weight of everything too heavy to bear. Finally, I went under again. Only this time on my own accord. Saltwater began entering my mouth, then my throat. My insides gradually felt like fire from the burning sensation in my lungs.

No more air and no more precious oxygen.

Dark circles spotted my vision and I eventually lost complete focus.

The obscure feeling of my bones being torn apart limb by limb became a distant feeling. Every inch of my body told me to just let it happen. 

So I stopped trying altogether.

I ever so silently sunk down deeper and deeper into the pitch-black abyss.

Dad, Jimin, I'm so sorry.

And then, just like that, everything was gone.