Chapter 1: Kid on the swing set

How did freshman Mahiru Shirota's first day of marching band begin so... bizarre?

He was simply running down to the band building, trumpet in tow. He was late. Very late. As he was in the middle of tripping on a crack, he spotted someone sitting on top of the swing set. Not on a swing, but rather the bar holding them. At first he thought he was just loitering, but then he saw the blue haired boy held a clarinet.

He was quite tall, with bright blue hair and... red eyes? That was strange... wait? Mahiru is forgetting something.

"I'm late!" Mahiru yelled, gaining the attention of the boy. He didn't realize until the blue hair boy jumped up and fell backward off of the swing, that the boy was asleep!

"Oh!" Mahiru yelped running over to him. "I'm so sorry! Are you okay? Oh god I hope you didn't hit your head or-"

The blue haired boy interrupted him, "Calm down would you?" He climbed back on the swing set, shocking Mahiru. "Uh... are you in marching band?" The boy nodded. "You do know we're," He glanced at his watch. "15 minutes late? Wait! 15?! We're going to have to run laps now..."

Suddenly the blue haired boy's eyes widened and he jumped off of the swing set, and dragged Mahiru to the band room earning a startled yelp from the boy.

They walked into the band room to be yelled at by their band director, Mr. Kranz. He also informed them, once they got outside they would both need to run one lap. They were given a seating chart, and the red eyed boy began to walk away, before being stopped by Mahiru. "H-Hey, what's your name? And what changed your mind so fast?"

The lazy boy covered his eyes with his hair and mumbled, "Kuro Ash. Sophomore. And, I don't like laps."

Mahiru smiled, "I'm Mahiru Shirota. Freshman. And I hate laps too." He said in a somewhat mocking voice.

•Thanks for reading, it's short, but there is more to come~•