Chapter 2: Things learned

Mahiru's first day of band was a success. He went a day without passing out, like on All Band Night. (A/N: All Band Night is when the middle school band marches with the high school band, this happens every year on one Friday.)

His first all band night, he buckled his knees and passed out within the first 5 minutes of the performance. His second all band night, he got heat exhaustion and fainted during the performance. His third all band night, he was hit in the head with a trombone and got a concussion. (Koyuki was really sorry though, so he forgave him.)

He was determined to march on a field with his band. (Without fainting or gaining an injury)

After Mahiru's first day had ended he learned many things. (A/N: These are all things my band does...)
1) When someone drops anything, the whole band shouts and claps because why not
2) Koyuki is better at tuba than trombone
3) Valve oil is essential, just in case you get stuck in the stair cases (A/N: This happens way too often in my band.)
4) If a small group starts playing one song, join in it's fun (A/N: Seriously, it's the highlight of marching band)
5) Climbing trees with a sousaphone is dangerous
6) Mark time four, four march eight
7) When doing high steps watch out for mud, or you'll end up doing a split
8) Shut up Sal (A/N: We say this daily.)
9) Up and over or you'll get hit in the head and pass out (Mahiru learned this the hard way, but managed to not pass out. Which is actually a hell of an achievement)
10) The baritones have a cult (A/N: As a baritone I can confirm this. I am a freshman in high school, and on the first day of marching band the baritones play Bb scale and circle around you. That's our initiation.)
11) Nobody messes with Kuro Ash. (Or his friends)

A few of the juniors were teasing Mahiru about his horn angle (A/N: This actually happens, I play baritone and oh my god, I'm sorry if I don't want spit rolling down into my fucking mouth!!!) and when Kuro saw this he quickly stopped his conversation with his brother, Hyde Ash, who played tenor saxophone. He marched over and with one look the juniors scattered away. Wait? Wasn't this guy a sophomore?! Why was everyone so scared of him? Strange.

"T-Thank you for that..." Mahiru mumbled, scratching the back of his head, blushing.

"You have a nickname around here, you know." Kuro looked at him, tilting his head. "Mr. Pass Out." He said simply, turning and walking away. Mahiru felt like he could pass out right there, from embarrassment.

"Alright band. Seats please." Mr. Kranz said standing at the podium, leaning into it. The band of 102 students took their seats. Mahiru looked at the people next to him, on his right was a trumpet, whose name isn't important, and on the left... HOLY.. The kid sitting next to him was like 20 feet tall, he swore. He wasn't there yesterday??

The tall baritone player must have noticed the small boy, and put his instrument across his lap, holding a hand out. "My name is Tetsu Sendaguya. Freshman. What about you?" (A/N: Ik I can't spell someone pls correct me;)

Mahiru shook his hand, replacing his shocked expression with a small smile. "Mahiru Shirota. Freshman. It's nice to meet you." The baritone player nodded and looked back to the front. There were so many people, he thought he might pass o- NO. Not again. He would not pass out at all this year. That is what he swore to himself.

"My anime mom didn't die for me to pass out on a field." He had said. (A/N: I am so sorry XD)

Mr. Kranz started class with a warm up of the Bb scale. As they went up the scale they would play one note getting louder, and then down again. Then going down they'd play each note in sixteenth notes. Mahiru, of course, failed miserably. He got lost three notes in, and played a A instead of an E. At least he got the fingering correct.

He looked up, only to see two alto saxophones having what looked to be a sword battle. Mahiru could tell this would be a long four years.

Suddenly, the doors slammed open. "Prepare yourselves! The perfect percussionist has arrived."

"Fifth teen minutes late I might add. Go take a lap." Mr. Kranz mumbled writing something down on paper, most likely attendance.

Mahiru referred back to his previous statement. Yes, a long four years indeed. Frankly, Mr. Pass Out was quite worried.

(A/N: Here's another band picture for you;)

(That is me and my two friends last All Band Night, while we were in eighth grade

(That is me and my two friends last All Band Night, while we were in eighth grade.)