Chapter 10: Bad Intentions

I glanced down at the piece of paper in my hand and then up at the wooden sign that read Il Gatto Nero above the dimly lit doorway. I pushed my sunglasses up onto my head and sighed quietly. I glanced at my wristwatch to make sure I had plenty of time before the sun set. If I didn't make it back before James and Marc were up, I'd be in big trouble.

And if they don't kill you, Luce might, I thought, my eyes rolling with a smirk. I pushed the paper into my skirt's front pocket and then walked forward into the little alcove of the doorway. I pushed it open, making a little chime above the doorframe ring through the space inside. As soon as I stepped foot inside, the scent of dust, herbs, and old parchment from books filled my nose.  It was both comforting and exciting to smell the mix and I couldn't help the smile that found my mouth.

"Benvenuto!" came the usual greeting. "Come va?" ("Welcome! How are you?")

"Benvenuto," I answered as I stepped the rest of the way into the shop. My eyes adjusted to the dim lighting and I quickly looked around to see the source of the voice. It was so dark in here and I was pretty sure the only light was coming from candles and little lamps, probably to protect the artifacts. I stepped through the maze of shelves of books and found the glass counter that had a light layer of dust across its trim.

Behind the countertop, a woman was standing, typing on a laptop and chomping on a piece of gum. She glanced up, immediately giving me a complete once-over. She smiled, her entire demeanor seeming to change. I bit down on my bottom lip, nervous. She looked like the real deal, a real witch. Her dark clothing, perfect skin without a drop of makeup beyond long, black eyelashes, and her straight dark hair... She somehow looked familiar, but I couldn't put my finger on where I had seen her before.

I glanced down over at my own clothes: my favorite dark red corduroy skirt that buttoned all down one side, the white lace tank top that was tucked in, and the old denim jacket I had owned forever. Even my little white sneakers were old. I was the kid in this shop and there was no hiding it.

She continued to smile at me, making my insecurity heighten. "Ciao. Come posso aiutarti, bella?" ("Hi. What can I help you with?")

"Umm, Inglese?" I asked in response. "My Italian is kinda crummy."

The woman laughed and nodded, pushing her laptop aside. I immediately wondered if she was the one I had been chatting with. "Yes, I speak English. What are you looking for?"

I breathed a sigh of relief and dug the paper back out of my pocket. "A couple things, actually. Someone was telling me that you would have it."

"We do have a lot of rare things that most covens can't get anywhere else," she responded. She had an interesting accent and I couldn't quite put my finger on what it was. It seemed like a mix of eastern European and Mediterranean. "I'm sure I can help you find something. What's the spell?"

My eyes took in all of the shelves and the amount of items that had been crammed in. There seemed to be some sort of organization to it, but with the amount of dust on certain things, I had a feeling that it had always been like this. "Umm, an intention-revealing spell," I said slowly. I glanced around again.

"Hmm, for a love interest?" she asked, leaning forward onto her elbows and the flat of her forearms against the glass counter. A devious smirk found her full lips.

"No, not like that," I answered, adverting my eyes. "I know how that person feels about me. This is for someone else." I looked all around, still trying to take it all in. A stuffed, taxidermied owl was perched on a shelf, staring at me with large gold eyes. It creeped me out a little.