Chapter Twenty One

Chapter Twenty One

Lydia Dunst

Waking up Monday mornings were usually dreadful but today I woke up with a tingly feeling in the pit of my stomach. Going to school meant I would get to see Dustin. I threw my sheets off my body and quickly got dressed to counteract the cold. It was funny how I suddenly cared ten times more what I looked like leaving the house. Leggings and a sweatshirt weren't enough anymore. Instead I put on a pair of light jeans and a white shirt with shoulder cut outs.

I put on a little extra makeup, including eyeliner, mascara and highlight. I even splurged on a few sprays of my favorite and expensive perfume. I stuck with my converse, if I didn't wear those my family would know something was up, my Nana especially.

"Well don't you look nice." She winked as I walked out of my bedroom.

"Thanks." I blushed, hoping Dustin would have the same reaction. She didn't say anything else, she didn't need to, she'd already made her point.

I raced down the stairs as my stomach growled. My Dad was already sitting at the kitchen table with a big bowl of bran cereal in front of him. I on the other hand went straight for the classics, Honey Nut Cheerios.

"Mornin'." He said with his mouth full.

"Morning." I didn't look up from my bowl of cereal.

"So, since we got the doctor's okay to continue regular activities, I expect to see you at practice after school." He mentioned, getting up to dump his empty bowl in the sink.

"Yes coach, I'm ready to get back to it." I smiled. 

"Good. Well I'll see you at practice. Have a good day at school." He leaned over me and kissed the top of my head. "Hm, you smell good." He noticed and my cheeks flared red, embarrassed.

"Uh, thanks." I tried to brush it off like it was nothing, he didn't seem to notice the sudden awkwardness in the air.

I finished my cereal just as eight o'clock rolled around.

"Bye Nana, bye Grandpa!" I shouted as I opened the front door.

"Bye darling." Grandpa shouted back down, as my Nana walked to the top of the stairs.

"Say hi to Dustin for me." She gave me a sly smile and disappeared back into her bedroom.

"Um, will do." I muttered, but what I was thinking was, kill me now.

It was already hot outside so I immediately turned on the air conditioning in my car after I started it, hoping it would start working before I pulled into the school parking lot. Just my luck, it didn't but I did find a good parking spot.

My eyes landed on Dustin's truck and I smiled as I hurried into the school.

"Lydia..." Dustin called my name and I spun around to see him standing right past my locker.

"Hey." My smile grew like the Grinch's heart.

Screw it, just kiss him.

I listened to my gut and closed the distance between us. I surprised him, but it didn't take him long to return the gesture. His arm snaked around the small of my back and he pulled me flush against him. My hands travelled through his hair as I melted at the passion I felt.

"What was that for?" He asked, when I broke the kiss.

"Just, good morning I guess." I bit my lip, nervously. "I don't want to go to class, skip with me?" I asked and I could tell he was tempted. The more time we got to spend together the better. I felt like I was falling one hundred miles a minute with no breaks.