Chapter Twenty Five

Chapter Twenty Five

Lydia Dunst

I was sure I'd lost him. For good this time. But as soon as he came inside from talking to Dad and his eyes had landed on me, he rushed over. His arms opened and then closed around me, holding me close. Tightly.

"I'm sorry..." His voice was soft and gentle as he spoke into the top of my head, very different than it sounded earlier. "I'm so sorry, Lydia. I'm sorry. I'm so sorry."

"No I'm sorry Dustin." I breathed, sighing in relief. I think we're okay, we're going to be okay. "I'm sorry, I betrayed your trust and that's on me." He shook his head, pulling me in tighter than I thought possible. I reached on my tiptoes, wrapping my arms further around him.

"You didn't do anything wrong. I did, I over reacted." I felt his lips linger on the top of my forehead.

"But-"

"No..." He cut me off. I looked up into his eyes. They were bloodshot and tired looking and tear stains covered his cheeks.

"You okay?" I asked, wiping them away with my thumb. He leaned into my hand, closing his eyes.

"Yeah, I'm okay." He whispered. I didn't know if I believed him or not. "Love you."

My heart melted, but at the same time it ached for him. He was going through hell and it was only going to get worse. Even though I knew I would stand by him through it all, I couldn't help but feel like I'd never truly understand how hard it was for him, no matter how much I hated it, I'd never be able to understand.

"Love you too." I pecked his lips.

I forgot we weren't alone. Josh put his hand on Dustin's shoulder.

"You ready man?" He asked. For the first time I saw an emotion other than lust in his eyes, it was worry. Josh was worried about the well being of his friend. I was worried too, but it was selfish. I was worried that maybe after everything came to light, nothing would be the same.

"Ready as I'll ever be..." Dustin frowned, turning to face Mckenna and Bishop.

I laced my fingers in his but it wasn't long before he pulled away to walk out to the car. I rode with Josh and his parents. As much as I wanted to ride with Dustin, I knew it was important for him to be with Mckenna and Bishop, because deep down we both knew it was a long shot that they were going to stay together.

We were quiet in the car, just listening to the news on the radio while Josh's parents made idle chit chat amongst themselves.

The police station wasn't far. It was just past the high school. We parked side by side.

I stayed by Dustin's side, yet gave him space. Wherever he wanted me that's where I was. Mckenna was holding his hand and Bishop was in his arms, clinging onto his neck. They both knew what was about to happen. Inside Dustin let them go, my hand replacing Mckenna's.

He looked down at me, hesitantly. "It'll be okay." I assured, but I didn't know if I was telling the truth.

He walked up to the officer standing at the desk, his foot tapping against the floor, his hands in his pockets. I put my hand on his arm. He didn't say anything, just stared up at the officer. Officer Hastings, his badge read.

"How can I help you?" He looked to Dustin and then around at our crowd.

"I'd um- I'd like to report child abuse." Dustin muttered, keeping eye contact.

He was the strongest person I'd ever met.

The officer's expression softened, and he placed a form on a clipboard. "I'm going to need you to fill this out, and then another officer will speak to you alone, along with anyone else involved." He handed Dustin the form and a pen.