Chapter 1

Soft amber light trickled through Kai's curtains in beams as sunset approached. It was his favourite time to write but today he was struggling. He stared down at his blank notebook page in frustration. His English literature professor had asked him to write an essay about human perception and the unknown which normally would've gotten his creative ideas flowing.

Today, for some reason, was different. Agitation darkened his whiskey coloured eyes as lowered his head into his hands, rubbing his temples with his fingers. He needed to clear his mind to write such deep content.

Kai was the type of person who tends to overthink and consider different aspect of existence. His thoughts were constantly flowing and he never failed to write them down. He portrayed these thoughts through any form of writing whether it was poetry or songs and everything in between. He had an artistic outlook and it was something his professor greatly admired.

Not wanting to disappoint, Kai decided to take a walk around the campus gardens to clear his mind. Once out of his small dorm and outside, he took a deep breath of the fresher air. It could get rather suffocating inside so he was glad to feel the last bits of the warm sunlight against his lightly tanned complexion. He walked towards the garden, cool evening air nipping at his skin ever so slightly.

He walked and listened to the sweet melody of bird songs and the hushed chatter of other students until the sun dipped behind the horizon and the world around him settled save for the crickets chirping in the nearby bushes. His mind finally felt at peace once more. His thoughts were halted by the force of someone running into him. He looked up at the taller male who he recognized as one of the older students.

The other guy wiped a few beads of sweat off his forehead and removed one of his headphones. He briskly apologized for running into Kai and made sure he hadn't accidentally hurt him. After that he took off running again and disappeared around a corner.

Looking at the near full moon in the sky he made a pact with himself to come out here more often. The way the stars glimmered over the campus felt almost unreal to him. He sat down on an old bench, avoiding splinters and watched the sky. It reminded him that everything was constantly moving, cycling, rotating, spiralling. The movements of the universe wouldn't stop for anyone neither would the passage of time. Thoughts like this naturally scare people but not Kai. He was accustomed to them and they merely inspired him.

He closed his eyes and relaxed, the sound of the crickets almost like a lullaby to him. One of the disadvantages of having a mind that's constantly thinking is the lack of sleep. He loved how his mind was philosophical but it normally messed with his sleeping schedule.

After a little while of sitting there and listening to the calming sounds of the night he opened his eyes once more and looked to the stars, trying to find constellations. His favourite constellation is Lyra because of it's beautiful myth about unconditional love and how not even separation can keep forbidden lovers apart.

He brushed back a tuft of warm blond hair that somehow fell in front of his eyes and smiled to himself. His ideas were starting to brew in his head once more. He reluctantly got up and made his way back to his dorm where his roommate, Sam was researching for a project.

Sam was much more extroverted than Kai so it was unlike him to be back in the dorm at this time. Kai walked in and observed Sam's appearance. Sam was staring down at his books, his auburn mop of hair was dishevelled as always, covering his face. He looked up at Kai and grinned, dimples adorning his freckle dusted cheeks.

"I'm going to order some pizza. Want anything?" Sam asked.

"Do they by any chance sell coffee? I want to finish my essay for Professor O'Neil tonight." Kai laughed. Sam was his best friend since they were in high school and one of the only people he felt comfortable around. He was grateful he was able to get a dorm with him.

"Miraculously, they do." Sam responded. "I'm also going to order a large margarita. Sound good?"

"Yeah. Anyways, I think I'm going to start writing." Kai said to him. With that, silence fell between the two. Sam knew that when Kai wrote he needed to focus and even if he tried to converse, Kai was more distant than other times. He didn't mind the quiet and was quite fascinated by the way Kai's mind worked anyways.

Kai grinned as he picked up his pen and let his thoughts flow onto the page effortlessly, creating yet another piece of literary artwork. He wrote until the sun came up, finally pleased with what he wrote.