Work It

Now that her divorce was finally over and done with and Logan and Rory had put themselves out there as now being in an exclusive committed relationship, their colleagues at work were far less interested in gossiping about them. This was pretty fortunate as they had recently been thrown together on a project at work and as people had started to get used to them, it meant a whole lot less staring. Rory was far less self-conscious going about her business which meant all her focus could go on work – exactly the way she liked it.

After the ruling by the judge in court, the apartment that she had once shared with James was now in the process of being sold, much to his discontent. It felt a little sad to Rory, dividing up what was their home, but she was really looking forward to getting her hands on the money from the sale and being able to use it as a down-payment for a new place. The last minute change to her divorce had absolutely been the right thing to do – not only to prove James's lawyer wrong but as much as she was comfortable in her little rented apartment, Logan was right, it wasn't really in the best of neighborhoods. Now she was going to get her fair share of equity from the sale, it would make life much easier and she'd be able to find herself a better place to live.

Following the divorce, Mitchum had managed to exercise a little damage limitation and he planted an article in Page Six exposing James's part in the whole sorry affair. Rory had pretty mixed feelings over this – she didn't really want to act spitefully or cause unnecessary hurt to anyone, after all, she had loved him once but on the other hand, she was also quite glad to see the story set straight and to get her name out there to show that she wasn't totally at fault.

Rory had toyed over what name to use professionally as she was very well known in the industry as an Attwood. She really wanted to have a completely new start though, she decided to go back to her Gilmore roots. For the first time in a really long time, she was actually starting to feel like the old Rory Gilmore again so it felt absolutely the right thing to do.

That day Kate and Rory had arranged to go out for some lunch together. There hadn't really been that much of an opportunity for them to catch up recently and Rory was keen to hear how things were progressing with Jess. It was a really nice day so they sat in a local park and just enjoyed getting out of the stuffy office environment and enjoying the fresh air for a little while.

"How are things going with Jess?" Rory had been really pleased to hear from Jess that he had continued to see Kate after their rather impromptu night out.

Kate smiled. "They're actually going well, I mean, it's nothing serious or anything but we're getting to know each other and it's nice."

"He's a pretty special guy," Rory said. Jess was one of her best friends and she wanted nothing more than to see him be happy.

"You and Jess, you are very close aren't you?" Kate asked.

"Yeah, I mean, we've known each other a really long time, since I was in high school. He's one of my closest friends." Rory smiled.

"You dated though yeah?" Kate said looking at Rory.

"Erm, yeah we did, I was a lot younger then though, I was still at school and well I guess there was this kiss when I was in college but that was really nothing, and then we..." Rory paused, she wasn't really sure how much more she wanted to say to Kate. "...but I mean we've not actually dated, as in being a couple, since high school".

Kate looked at Rory. "You had something going on when you were at college? I never knew that?"

"Oh, it really wasn't a big thing. Things were pretty bad between me and Logan at the time and it was just a kiss." Rory said remembering the time she went to Philadelphia to see Jess while Logan was away. "Anyhow, overall, it didn't really take me and Jess long to realize that we were way better off as friends." Rory smiled. "This doesn't make anything weird does it?"