2. Little Jane

"Jane, darling! It's bed time!" Eloise called out from the kitchen

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.

"Jane, darling! It's bed time!" Eloise called out from the kitchen.

Her hands were covered with soap as she washed the dishes. Her back ached so badly, all she wanted to do was lie down. She let out a tired sigh and wiped her forehead with the back of her hand. Her fingers ached, the dry skin burning in the sizzling hot water from the tap. It was the hottest summer she'd experienced, and had to make use of whatever they had. Two strong arms wrapped around Eloise's waist. Though the her sweaty back stuck to the fabric of her dress and made her feel uncomfortable, Eloise smiled to herself.

"Hello Henri, dear." She said.

"Hey, sweetheart." Henri whispered and rested his chin in the crook of her neck.

Eloise frowned.

"Everything okay? At work?" She asked.

"No no, nothing like that. Just.....too much workload, that's all." he said in a reassuring tone.

Eloise had met her husband when she'd first come to Australia for her degree in fashion, and they'd clicked instantly. Two years later, Henri had proposed to her, and she immediately accepted. Now, they lived in a small, but warm cottage house with their little bundle of joy, Jane.

"Eloise?", Henri started.

"Hm?"

"I love you so much." He whispered softly against her ear.

She drew in a sharp intake of breath and turned around to face her husband, wiping her hands on the front of her apron.

"I love you even more, Henri." She replied.

Henri turned her around, and leaned forward to place a kiss on her lips when she placed a hand on his chest. He looked at her questioningly. Eloise tilted her head towards the side and gestured towards something behind him. Henri turned, and looked at what she was pointing. Henri sighed and went and sat on a chair, watching Eloise silently.

"Jane, go ahead and brush your teeth sweet heart. Mommy will get you changed into your night dress, then," She coaxed and gently pushed the little four year old towards the door.

The little girl silently strode out, without turning and looking at Henri. Eloise then looked at him with narrowed eyes. Henri returned her stare with a blank expression.

"I don't understand why you can't spend time with Jane like other fathers do with their own daughters." Eloise complained.

Henri shrugged in response. Eloise frowned hard and wiped her hands on a towel and left the kitchen angrily. Henri rubbed his temple and sat there in silence, only the whistle of the cooker disrupting it. Finally, what felt like ages later, he got up and went to his study. He sat there with all his reports and cases spread messily across his desk. Work had tired him very much, with so many cases to solve. It hadn't​ been easy in anyway. But what troubled him the most was his constant arguments with Eloise. Regarding little Jane.

Henri heard the study door slowly open, and saw Eloise standing in the door way. Jane strode over towards Henri, now in her blue little mermaid night dress. Henri turned around in his chair and looked at her blankly. The girl gave a small smile, making her father smile sadly. She stood on her tiptoes and wrapped her arms around his neck. Henri froze, and it took him a little while before he gently hugged Jane back. He felt the humid air instead. The child then silently turned and left the room with her mother.

Hours passed, and Henri sat in his study, doing nothing. His chest ached, and his mind couldn't concentrate on anything at all. He couldn't take it anymore. Furious, he took swept all his cases off of his table violently. Henri panted heavily, and broke down. His tears streamed out like an endless waterfall. He loved Eloise very much. And he loved Jane even more.

Collecting himself, he tiptoed towards the bathroom and prepared for bed. His head now throbbed painfully, due to excessive stress and grief. He entered the room and found his wife awake, stroking the pillow lovingly. The night lamp was on while Eloise sang a hushed lullaby. Henri slowly made his way to his side of his bed and lay down, facing his wife. Eloise looked at him with a hopeful smile.

"I know you love her, and I know you will give her what she deserves from a good father like you." She said.

Henri watched his wife sing to the pillow, again trying to pretend as if he saw his Jane. Eloise fell asleep not much later. He lay motionless, eyes wide and staring at the now darkened ceiling. He couldn't put up with the act for much longer, or he'd go insane. He'd tried so hard to tell Eloise the truth, to make her understand. But she never did. Henri didn't want to lose his wife now. Eloise had been sick ever since it happened. He had to try, he knew he had no other choice.

Henri wrapped his arm around a sleeping Eloise, and whispered ever so slowly,

"How can I, Eloise?" He sobbed,

"How can I give our little girl anything, when she's dead?".

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.

Just a depressing thought I had, so wrote it out. Sorry, I know I am sooo depressing. ;D