3. Sweetheart

"I don't understand why you do this," Ara asked

Eve looked up at her sister, raising an eyebrow.

"Do what, exactly?" She asked.

"Continue with this disrespectful treatment! Eve, you are a very resourceful and determined person. You should know, this coming from me is really unusual. You'd easily land a new job, around here, somewhere," Ara stated firmly.

Eve sighed and twirled a stray strand of black hair with her pen.

"I don't know, Ara. Steve and I.......he just needs time, that's all....."

"For the love of God, Eve! He's broken up with you over a text. What kind of faithful boyfriend who just proposed to you even even does that? And let me also remind you, the staff doesn't treat you any better! You need to stay as far away from him as possible. Don't marry him. And that also means leaving your job as the editor  and finding a new one." Ara ordered.

Even though Eve was the eldest, Ara showed more confidence and authority than Eve had ever shown in all her twenty four years of existence. And that's why, she always got run over. Run over in a queue at the coffee shop, cheated by a salesman at the boutique, and in the end, left by her only love. She knew Ara had a point, but she didn't really want to take the risk. What if she didn't land another job? What if Steve found out and laughed at her for it?

"There's no point over thinking it," Ara began, quieting down Eve's doubts.

"You are resigning tomorrow, first thing in the morning. And then, we'll grab breakfast from Rose's and we'll search for a better job for you." She finished, not giving Eve any choice.

Eve nodded her head and relaxed in her chair, wondering how she would do it.

Tomorrow, Eve thought, is going to be a hard day.

_______________

Eve had forced Ara to have breakfast before she faced her boss/ex boyfriend. And now, she was standing in his office.

"You're doing what?" Steve stood up from his plush office chair and stared at her with wide eyes.

"I'm resigning. Here's my resignation letter." Eve said, exactly how she'd rehearsed with her sister.

"What!?" Steve repeated, dumbstruck.

"I don't remember stuttering," Eve said coolly, enjoying the look on his face.

"But--but Eve! Sweetheart, you can't this..."

Maybe it was the constant pressure of losing her beloved job that made her do what she did next. Or, it was just plain fury. The next minute, Steve was cursing and holding his now broken, bloody nose. Eve looked at her knuckles, now throbbing slightly. She looked at him, horrified. But then she remembered Ara's words.