Monday: September 24, 2012

What’s The Catch

{Monday, September 24, 2012}

Sitting upright on the couch in Belinda’s living room, Marin leaned her head back with her eyes closed and let out a long sigh. “God, Why can’t I just let it all go Belinda, what is wrong with me? Gosh, I’m so stupid” Marin asked lifting her head up slowly but still with her eyes firmly closed.  Belinda looked up toward her depressed best friend trying to keep her expression neutral, but inside feeling a deep sadness for her.  “Marin” Belinda said lowly, “honey, we’ve gone over and over this. You are NOT stupid. My advice is still the same damn thing. You need closure or move the hell on honey. Not even that stinking “Mark the Jerk’ made you this low. I’m worried about you Marin. You’ve lost weight and you’re losing those fabulous curves. It is unhealthy for you to continuously overanalyze the what ifs and what could’ve beens, but then do nothing to fix it. Please think about my suggestion from last week. Can you do that? I think you were starting to fall in love honey. Maybe he was too. Don’t you want to see him again? Don’t you want to know one way or the other if you and Cliff have a real chance?”

Shaking her head in a nod that wasn’t quite a yes or no in direction, but more along the lines of an “I heard you” movement, Marin opened her eyes and stood up to leave to go home. “Thanks Doc” Marin said slightly sarcastically but smiling at Belinda “I know that I am the one standing in my own way. I will think more about it when I get home tonight. I’ll make my appointment for next week with David on my way out.” 

Belinda smiled slowly at her best friend’s quick sarcastic wit and said “I hope you have to cancel that appointment” She said in her best fake shrink voice while shaking her head. “Trust me Marin. I’ve got a 6th sense about these things and it will work out. I can feel it.”

Marin left Belinda’s after kissing her cheek and giving David, Belinda’s husband of just over a month now, a hug on her way out to her car. Driving home in silence her thoughts so overran with memories that when she pulled into her driveway she had no recollection of the actual drive to get home. Marin walked into her townhouse, set her purse on the entry table, and slid off the mid-height comfortable heels she had worn to work. Taking a deep breath, she made her way into the kitchen to pour a large glass of wine and then took it with her to sit outside on her little back deck. The sun was just starting to set and as is tradition during this exact time period of almost every day, Marin let her mind wander to a different hotter sun she’d stood under over two months ago on an unbearably hot July afternoon in Las Vegas.

**************************************************************************************