Late March, Tokyo 207X

Some people think midnight is the quietest time. But midnight is amateur hour for the insomniac. Barhoppers make it to midnight. Three am, that's the time for pros. Those who can't sleep. When the world is quietest. Almost no one is out.

So it was unsurprising when no one saw or heard the muffled rumblings coming from a vacant house in a remote Tokyo suburb, 

It had been purchased months previously, with appropriate paperwork and planning documents (duly filled out by an amused Mind somewhere around Betelgeuse) then stamped with a suitably ornate and registered hanko by a plain looking avatar in a slightly dilapidated government office building. 

And now that same Mind, the LCU "What's That Over There" was busy gutting the interior of the house with its effectors from low Earth orbit before displacing the module contents inside. It amused itself by observing that if someone were inside they would leave thinking yokai and kami were real; as walls, disused appliances, and other items were sliced, molecularly disassembled and removed, before entire new rooms and contents seemed to appear by magic, emerging from shimmering silver spheres that blinked them into existence.

"Its almost ready Sesuru" said the ship.

"Ok"

"You're sure you're okay with this?" asked Verda. The jade green discus-shaped drone  flitted about the room helping her pack. 

"You're one of the youngest ever sent on a Contact mission."

"Stop calling it that. It's an exchange program."

"You're gonna spend the next few years on Earth with few visits home." The drone zipped around the room, picking up clothes, neatly folding them with it fields, and putting them into compression boxes.

On Earth she'd have limited replicator capacity. For once she'd actually have to pack and carry things. 

"Yes, I know. My parents helped me out. I have good grasp of the language and culture, and while I know math, I will have to learn history and the arts like any other student."

"But if things go south"

"If things go south, I've got my Culture heritage and you."

"I'm not a SC drone."

"You're also the most advanced piece of tech within four thousand light years of here, excluding this ship."

"Aww, you're so sweet" said the ship.

The drone briefly flashed light gray in mild displeasure.

"At least have a neural lace installed."

"Too easy. The ship has insured I am up to my armpits in replacement terminals. We'll pack the phial and if I need a lace, I'll drink it. I'm 23,000 light years from home. I have no other choice but to be happy." and scared, and excited, and a bit homesick too, thought Sesurube.

The drone bobbed in agreement. Not ideal, but it was a compromise. It went back to packing stuff.

"At least you don't have to pose as a 'makeup compact', whatever that is."

Sesurube patted the drone gently, "Aww."

Finally she was packed. Activated, the compression boxes squeezed their contents down to the size of large bricks. Verda picked them up with its effectors and followed Sesurube out of her quarters and down the hall.

The ship avatar greeted them in its small bay. It was dressed like a middle aged Japanese business man, wearing an impeccable suit, with slightly unkempt hair. They both bowed and she made sure to hold hers a moment longer, and go a bit deeper.

"Very good" noted the avatar.

Sesurube grinned "I got this; stop worrying."

"The Culture have given you so much. But one thing you will need to fight is loneliness Sesuru."

"I know."

In the bay was a small self driving car, Culture through and through except for its appearance. It lacked a full mind of its own, but its AI core was still very advanced.

"Shall we?" said the avatar, motioning to the car. 

Verda dropped the boxes in the trunk, and floated inside, joining Sesuru. The trip down on the lifter was noneventful as it came to rest in front of the house.

Sesuru and Verda got out of the car, the boxes following behind them. "We'll unpack in the morning".

"A good plan" noted Verda.

Sesuru went upstairs, and collapsed into her bed. It was late, and even something as lumpy and odd as a matress felt comfortable.

Not needing sleep, Verda halfheartedly examined the house while browsing the 'internet'. 

It was 4am when it found Japanese game shows.