XVI: Pleasantly Surprised

2 days later, Jermaine has been staying at work later, meaning him and Kimberly hardly talk.

Kimberly

I woke up earlier than usual, I checked my phone to see that I'd had 2 missed calls from Jermaine. I instantly remembered I was supposed to call him after I got off work last night, but I'd forgotten and went straight to sleep. I cursed to myself, already knowing that he was probably pissed. I clicked on his name and call him, hopefully he was awake already.

The phone rung for a few seconds before he picked up.

"Hey Kim." His voice sounded weak, and possibly in pain.

"Hey Jermaine...are you ok?"

"I-I got hurt."

"Hurt? How?"

"There was an accident at my job, I fractured my coccyx."

"Are you okay? Do you have someone up there to come and get you?!"

"No...I'll figure it out though. I'll probably ask one of my siblings, whichever one decided to answer their phone first." He said sounding as if he didn't care.

"I can drive out there Jermaine, it's not that far."

"No no no Kim. Don't worry about it, I'll be fine."

"No seriously, it's no problem. Plus...I wanna see you." I insisted.

"Alright, only because you want to."

It wasn't hard to tell that I was worried about him. I decided I'd leave around 9:30, and packed my essentials for the roughly 3 hour trip. Unlike many other people, I didn't mind long drives. I actually enjoyed them, it was relaxing.

--

I left my condo, and quickly stopped to get gas for the ride. Not even halfway through my drive I got a text message from Lauren. I rolled my eyes at her name...that night at the Lounge left a bad taste in my mouth. The text read,

"Heyy Kimmy 🤗🤗 you wanna hang out today? #NewBestie!"

If there's anything in this world that annoys me, it is when people call me 'Kimmy' and when people put hashtags in text messages. I waited until I got to a red light and replied,

"I'm leaving town today, I have to pick up my brother from my dad's house."

I lied to her, to avoid her speech about how men are disloyal, and how I'm wasting my time. I knew good and damn well my dad was dead and my brother was grown.

Jermaine

I sat in the hospital bed, watching some cartoon on the television. I've been incredibly stressed after this "accident", and incredibly worried about my next career mood. I prayed it wouldn't have to be...my backup plan.

I wouldn't be in this predicament if it wasn't for the asshole, very experienced forklift operator who 'accidentally' knocked over the platform that I happened to be standing on. Of course when he saw I was injured it was no longer a laughing matter.

I'd been here for hours, with no family or friends in Tennessee..I was alone. The shit was bringing me down until I got the call from Kimberly, I didn't want to tell her..but her making the decision to come all the way here to get me was the best news I'd heard in weeks.

-

It was not around 1 o'clock, the nurses had been in and out to check up on me, but that was the only company I had. I've been awaiting Kimberly for only a few hours, but to me it felt like an eternity.