Chapter 12

When I got to the bistro for my shift, I was relieved to see Wes floating around the tables, laughing and chatting with the customers. Mr. Hunter was pouring drinks at the bar, and Ben and Zoe were sitting at a table in the back, watching a game on TV. The music flowing out of the speakers was cheery, and the mood of the restaurant was upbeat. Penelope even said hi to me. Things suddenly didn't seem so bad.

I tucked my bag under the register and smiled all the way to the table where Wes was refilling glasses like a completely normal human being. Nothing abnormal about him. "I'll take that." I touched his hand lightly as I took the pitcher from him, transferring a familiar energy between us.

"Thanks." His fingertips grazed my waist as he sidled between me and the table behind us.

As the night went on, I stole as many glances at Wes as I could, blushing when he caught me, and admiring him when he didn't. At the end of the night, Penelope didn't plant herself at the table to roll silverware. Instead, she grabbed her purse and rushed out, looking somewhat stressed. 

"Where is she going in such a hurry?" I asked Wes who was cleaning off a table nearby.

"Not sure. She said she got an urgent phone call. Gives me a chance to introduce you to my siblings since you haven't officially met yet."

All this time and his siblings never gave me the time of day. It was a little bit weird, but now the pressure seemed insurmountable and dread filled my fingers, dropping the salt shaker from them and shattering salt all over the floor.

"I'm so sorry." I swept my hands around the salt, gathering it into piles, but Wes' hand caught my wrist.

"Leave it." He locked his eyes with mine intensely, rubbing my wrist gently.

"But I—" Looking down, the salt had disappeared. "Where...what..." I searched the area frantically. I was losing my mind.

Wes pulled me up by my elbows, watching me carefully. "Don't freak out, okay?"

I nodded nervously and followed as he led me to his family.

"Ben and Zoe, this is Abigail. Abigail, these are my siblings."

I always thought it eccentric how he referred to his brother and sister as siblings. No one spoke like that.

Ben stepped forward, his jet-black hair slicked back, defining the contours of his thin cheekbones, sharp nose, and narrow jaw. In all the years I had known the twins, I had never been close enough to get a good look. It was clear now that all four of them shared the same iridescent eyes.

"Hi, Abigail. It's nice to meet you. We have heard many things about you over the years." Ben winked sincerely. He bent over and kissed my hand, then stepped back.

My body flushed with embarrassment. What had Wes told his family about me?

Zoe glided forward, her hips shifting gracefully and her blonde hair flowing freely, curls bouncing around her shoulders. The only similarities the twins shared were their eyes.

"I'm sorry we haven't met until now." Her simple smile showcased a dimple on her right cheek.  She had soft cheekbones hidden under a round face and a ski slope nose that offset her full pink lips. She was magnificent up close.

"Me, too." My voice cracked slightly. Wes squeezed my hand reassuringly.

Zoe bowed her head and backed up next to Ben. Their light skin glowed brightly under the fluorescent lights.

"And you already know my father, William." Wes tipped his head to him.

I nodded affirmation. I was so nervous it was hard to formulate words.