Chapter 28

My chest tightened, and my fingers clenched the white sheets as I awoke in my new strange place. I pulled the sheets up close to my chin, waiting for the tremors to pass. The sun was just rising, casting unfamiliar shadows around the room. Deep down I knew I was safe. My door was locked, and I was in a lockdown facility that bred warriors. There wasn't anywhere else in the world that could possibly be more secure, but still my heart raced. And it didn't help when the alarm on my watch blared loudly.

I snatched it up quickly, but my shaky hands dropped it immediately, the alarm still going strong. The alarm that I had not set. I rolled out of bed to recover it, pressing all the buttons frantically to get it to stop. When it stopped, I sat back against the bed. How could I function this early?

Moments later, doors slamming echoed through the hall. I crawled to my door and peeked out. Several white clothed bodies exited the hall quietly. I recognized Jasmine's jet-black hair immediately. "Jasmine," I hissed.

She looked over her shoulder and smiled. "Abigail." She headed back to me. "You're not dressed yet. And why are you sitting on the floor?"

I stood up quickly. "My watch went nuts."

She laughed. "That's the morning alarm. You really should hurry and get dressed." She looked down at her watch. "Lineup is in three minutes, and you don't want to be late. Trust me."

Spoken like someone with shamed experience.

"Okay. Go. I don't want you to be late on my account."

She raced out the door. In a flurry, I threw on my white clothes, socks, and shoes, and fixed the knot my hair had fallen out of overnight. Vanity must have been unacceptable, because I hadn't seen a mirror since I got here except for in the infirmary bathroom. I ran across the hall with my toothbrush and quickly brushed my teeth in the bathroom. I ran back to my room, tossed the toothbrush onto my dresser, and ran out the door. I silently cursed myself for not grabbing the sweatshirt, as the chill bit at my skin. I rubbed my arms for warmth and then raced over to where the line of white clothed kids stood straight and still. I stepped in line next to Jasmine.

"You just made it." She turned to give me a quick smile.

When I looked up, I saw a rainbow of colors all the way down the hill. Each set of kids standing tall with their hands by their sides. They all stood in a horizontal line on the side of their building.

I did as the others, not knowing what to expect. Jack walked out from the cover of our building, only he wasn't wearing blue. He was wearing black. He held his poker face as he made eye contact with me on his way down the line, inspecting everyone. I was thoroughly confused.

He walked back to the center. No one breathed. Or at least it seemed that way. I could hear a pin drop.

"Abigail Rose," he called.

I didn't know what to do. "Umm, yeah?"

A wave of movement traveled down the line of kids.

Jasmine whispered through the side of her mouth, "You're supposed to just step forward."

"Oh." I stepped forward. "Sorry."

Jack walked over and stood in front of me. As hard as he was trying to keep his poker face, I could see a shimmer of humor in his eyes.

"You're to report to the main building."

"Okay." I stood unmoving.

"Now, Miss Rose."

"Oh." I bounced. When I looked down the line, the kids were stifling giggles. "See you later then, I guess?" I saluted Jack and then jogged up the path to the main building. I stole a quick glance back and caught Jack watching me with an amused expression. This was going to make for one interesting year.