Now

A/N: This is a poem I wrote in the second semester of my senior year of high school. When I wrote this poem there was a lot of pressure being put on my peers and me about graduation, which was right around the corner and what we were going to do with our lives. This poem is about one question that would get asked over and over again throughout that part of my life and my honest response to it and my feelings about it.  

"So, what are you going to do now?" 

As a recent high school graduate I have gotten asked this question a lot and I have many responses to it from joining the circus to making the world a better place, but if I'm honest what I really am going to do if try to survive in this World where dreams are crushed before you even wake up. A world where people watch from the sidelines not to cheer you on, but to cheer as you fail because that means they are one step closer to reaching their goal. 

I will pay for and education in hopes to get a job to pay rent and dinner won't have to be Ramen noodles every night. I will try to convince myself that this is okay. That I shouldn't want or need anything else. And why shouldn't I believe this?

I grew up in a world where we believe everything is okay because it isn't happening here at home. It isn't happening in our state. It isn't happening in our town. We believe it is okay because it isn't at our doorstep, but our neighbors'. It is okay as long as we are.

I grew up in a world where we become concerned too late and we would rather pick up the pieces after the storm than prevent the storm from happening. 

I grew up in a world where ideas are bright and problems are solved with many solutions, but never the ones that matter. 

I grew up in a world where we are told, as the next generation we can do something, only to watch the generation before us create the problems that need fixing. 

I grew up in a world where the question "What are you going to do now?" is answered with the answer always being in the future tense. Because the definition of "now" has somehow changed over the years. 

It would never be possible to start a change now, like actually now, would it?