~1~

Inaugural Ball, 1961
~

Jackie fixed her pillbox hat as she looked at herself in the mirror. Her reflection blinked back at her and she finally finished applying the layers of gentle makeup.

"Ms. Bouvier?" A voice called behind the door where she as fixing the makeup. "We're ready for you. Your car is outside."

"I'm coming," she said, adjusting the hat again. She quickly rushed outside, holding her purse. The cold winter air bit at her skin as she slid down. She knew from apart Kennedy all eyes would be on her. She shook her head to clear her thoughts as they arrived at the capitol building.

The cold air seemed to bite into her skin but she welcomed it. Her pillbox hat looked ridiculous on her head, but she managed to thank the driver thank you before stepping out. She made sure her hair wasn't askew before walking up the steps. She'd be right next to the current president, Einsenhower, since she had won the nomination of the Republicans. But then she'd also be close to Kennedy. She sighed.

She walked up the several steps, trying not to get her limbs to freeze up as she walked. Her ankle was hurting quite badly but since she wore boots no one could see the towel wrapped around her ankle.

Jackie wrapped herself down in seclusion. She kept her head up however and shook hands when people came up to her and greeted her. Jackie kept smiling all the time, her smile never faded.

By now, the chilly snow was falling. Jackie watched the snowflakes and ice fall down in front of the area where the inauguration would be. She could not believe her eyes. There were dozen of people... She felt a little jealous but she said nothing. It wasn't her place to do so.

Jackie watched the car of the future president stop. She felt a deep intake of breath. She hadn't seen him since November. By now of course her broken ankle was healing. She felt a jab to her ribcage. "What are you looking at?" Richard Nixon asked her. Over time, despite him losing, they'd become friends. Jackie knew he was married but she became friends with his wife too. Pat Nixon was beautiful, but the people of the United States had other ideas. They found Jackie beautiful not Pat. She shakes her head at the thought.

"Can't I just look at him?" She asked back. She looked back at Jack Kennedy. Nixon looked disgusted.

"He's not married is he?" Jackie asked, watching the president elect shake the hands of the senators. He was getting closer to them.

Nixon arched an eyebrow. "He's in his 40s, Jackie. And no, he's not married."

Jackie felt herself wallow in disgust. The president elect was a very handsome man, she had to admit that. Why had she not seen that before? Nixon kept staring at her. "He's not your type, Jackie," he said.

What makes you think that? Jackie had to bite her tongue. She didn't want to say anything to Richard in case he sneered something equally rude back at her. Their relationship consisted of jeers, snarls, and jokes that most people didn't understand. Richard also liked to embarrass her, but she body slammed him with the fact he'd been beaten by a girl.

As she was in her own thoughts, she didn't notice Kennedy getting closer. Richard brushed past her to greet the president elect. Snapping out of her own trance, Jackie hesitated before following behind. She tried to hide the limp as she walked.

He noticed her first, and Jackie thought there would be an awkward silence. But there wasn't. He extends his hand. "Senator Bouvier."

Jackie goes to shake his hand firmly, but when she does she feels an electric current go up her spine and hand. She pulls back quickly. "Mr. Kennedy."

The next moments of silence are awkward toward Jackie. She just hopes Jack Kennedy leaves because this is making her feel awkward. A tap on Kennedy's shoulder relieves her. "Sir?" A man says. 

Kennedy doesn't turn around, just his head. "Yes?"

"You're wanted at the podium," the aide informs. Jackie recognizes him now. It's Dave Powers. She has to ball up her fists not to say anything.

"Oh... Umm.." Kennedy looks back at her. "I'll see you around, Senator Bouvier." He says nodding slightly before quickly following his aide.

Jackie's chest felt all warm and fluffy from the way Kennedy had looked at her. It was not a political stare, it was more like a shy, hopeful look that showed something behind the mask. Jackie shook her head. Nixon snorted as he led her back to her seat.

"What?" She asked. "What's wrong?"

Nixon lifted his chin. "You just attracted attention, Jacqueline. From him. I've known him too long. He wants to make a move on you, Jackie."

She felt her stomach plunge. "He likes me...?"

"Why else would he look at you like that? Of course he likes you!" Nixon whispered harshly so no one heard. Jackie fixed her gaze on the podium. She tried to ignore Nixon.

Her stomach felt sick for some reason. As much as she tried to deny it, she hated it. She had feelings for Jack Kennedy down deep within her. But she'd buried them ever since the campaign. She hadn't let emotions get ahold of her. Nixon had told her to be ruthless and quick, don't care about anyone. She sighs.

If she couldn't care about anyone, she was mortally scared. What if JFK tried to make a move on her? What would happen to her then?

Her insides were watery as she watched Kennedy recite his speech. As much as she loved the words, she couldn't quote pay attention to him. Her stomach felt sick. She felt clingy too. She wasn't sure with what. She tried to focuse on the speech.

Once he finished, the senators went inside. Jackie followed behind Nixon, afraid. She didn't want anything happening to her.

During the night, Nixon left with Pat upstairs. Probably to make love to her or something. Jackie rolled her eyes trying not to feel uncomfortable. Or jealous when the waltzing and dancing begun. She sat, sipping at her champagne, alone. She watched people waltz, feeling alone.

She was in her own thoughts when she heard a chair being pulled up behind her. At first she thought it was Nixon coming back to ask for advice but when she turned around, she froze.

"Hi," the new president said. "Why are you all alone? Don't you have someone?"

She had to turn her chair not to be rude. "No," she replied evenly.

He laughs. "So a pretty girl like you couldn't bag a date, Jacqueline?"

She felt her face flush. "Why does it matter to you?" She asks softly.

He shakes his head a little looking away. People are still waltzing and dancing. He looks shy, almost like he's going to ask something but he doesn't want to.

Finally he stands up. Jackie think he's going to leave, but he doesn't. He holds his hand out. She looks up at him confused.

Jack Kennedy smiles down at her a little amused. "Senator Bouvier, may I have this dance?"