Cruel Truth, Beautiful Lies

That night I let myself rest finally, not afraid anymore, as the guards rotated in the halls outside my room every 20 minutes, and their footsteps lulled me to sleep. My dream that night was of the family story. But it was twisted, different than how I had remembered it. A voice whispered to my head, and the eyes I had thought I would not see again flashed through my brain like a warning. See through my eyes, see what I know. With a dizzying pull I fell into my dream.

There the handsome boy was, empty pockets and grime covering the freckles upon his face. Aaron Meridian.
He dove in the shadows, weaving his way like a raccoon through the streets. It was when he was behind an old bakery in the alleyway did someone join him. A beautiful young girl with long dark locks of hair falling to her hips in an ocean of waves.
Aaron Meridian held her close in his arms when he saw her, pressing a gentle kiss to her forehead. She pressed her lips to his ear and I knew at once it was not affection but a whisper.

"I know where the witch now lives. We can have riches and a new life together... If only you get the source. She has made it so I cannot even come near her household." The whispers came easy to my ears and I reached out my hand in alarm, attempting to stop them.

The scene warped to a grand twisted oak tree, surrounded by a short pocket fence and bushes of beautiful flowers that truly must've been breed magically for they were not any of the flowers I have ever seen before.
And then I saw Aaron. He crept along the path up to the front door. Pressing his ear to the door, he threw it open, instantly searching around, leaving a mess like a whirlwind inside. The oak's insides were enchanted, larger than the average house, it could fit a family. Herbs and flowers hung from the ceiling and several cauldrons set waiting by the fireplace. No one seemed to be home though, and Aaron didn't seem to care of the mess he made. He got a small cut on his hand when he threw aside a ceremonial dagger, but paid it no mind. Finally he reached a painting, ripping it from the wall he revealed a safe behind it. He whipped a small pouch from his pocket, drawn with sigils and thrumming of some ancient dark magic. He placed it within the keyhole and found he could open it instantly.
Inside lay a large sapphire, glowing in the darkness of the safe. I recognized it instantly. I reached for the amulet upon my chest and sighed as the scene changed again.

It was a little while later because now it was autumn and the leaves were beginning to color. Aaron was sitting upon a throne of his own creation, made of gold and diamond. The beautiful woman from before was at his side, holding an unfinished amulet of sapphires and moonstones. Their eyes met just as a large gust of wind blew in their front door. Aaron arose, sword already in hand as a beautiful woman entered, fog billowing around her ankles. Her eyes were as bright as the sapphire that was taken from her, and her horns curled elegantly around her ears, adorned with golden bangs and tassel-like chains. She stared at him cold and calm, the ceremonial blade held in her long pianist fingers.
"Return what you stole, and I will consider sparing you." She announced, her voice echoing in the quiet room.
"How dare you come here and speak to me like this. You can't hurt me as long as I have this amulet." Aaron announced, ripping the amulet from his girlfriend's hand and placing it around his neck. I could see the veins closest to the skin quickly flash bright blue with magic.
"Then you shall not have it much longer. I curse your blood with the last magic I have, and so at your 18th birthday and for all who follow, they shall turn to stone."

I woke with a start, the blood drained from my face out of fear. It wasn't true it wasn't real, I consoled myself, hugging my arms to my chest, sticky with cold sweat. It couldn't be true. A lie created by the witch. I wouldn't let them sway my mind.
I stood up and got dressed into a large sweater and cargo pants, hoping to warm myself up. I threw on my sneakers and began to explore, looking for someplace I could stare at the stars from. Eventually I ended up on the roof, standing at the very edge of it and looking up to the sky.
"If anyone is listening, I just... I wanted to say, thanks for this place... And I hope that someday I'll get better." I didn't know what I wanted to say but I know that wasn't it. I wanted to ask them to end my suffering, my eternal fear and adrenaline, hoping for one night when I could sleep without crying.

"What are you doing up here?" I recognized the voice instantly. Sebastian. He had been sitting on the roof this entire time, hidden by the long cast shadow of the stream stacks. When I didn't answer at first, he began to turn around, his unsettling eyes locking on my own. With the look on his face, I think he realized I wasn't feeling so good. "Ah. That bad huh?" I nodded a bit, sighing softly,
"Can I tell you a secret that you can't tell anyone else?" I stuttered out, part of me unwilling to explain the situation I was born into. Sebastian waved his arm for me to continue and I took a deep breath, hesitating a bit before whispering, cautious in case of anyone listening in.

I told him the story of my family, and how we were all cursed long ago. I told him about the witch and how this new witch was chasing me around for 2 whole years. I whispered about my father's death and how he would never have a grave like my mother, and how I hoped someone would place his statuesque form to oversee my mother's final resting place.

The whole time, Sebastian nodded along, listening diligently. I could only guess what he was thinking. Only once I was practically in tears did he stop me, patting my shoulder. He seemed rather awkward about it but it was the thought that counts.
"Don't worry, Meridian. It seems we have something in common. Cursed. But I'll tell you that story another time. Lets get you something yo drink for now. How does hot chocolate sound?" I rubbed my palms hard against my eyes and nodded,
"Yeah... That sounds good."