Wattpad Original
There are 2 more free parts

Chapter 4 | Evelyn

4

─── • ───

ISABELLA

I try on every piece of clothing in my wardrobe before settling on a cream low-cut sweater, skinny black jeans, and black heeled boots. I curl my hair into loose waves and apply minimal makeup. It's casual, but I still look presentable enough for a fancy restaurant.

As I stare at myself in the mirror, I wonder if I'll regret going out with Miles. I've changed a decent amount since we've been apart, and I'm not sure how much he has changed. The real question is, do I want to find out? He looks different, that's apparent. Yet from the two encounters we've had, the Miles I used to know seems buried deep.

Now he runs one of the biggest businesses in Pennsylvania, so it's not unusual that he has changed. He is probably is high maintenance. I mean, he has people that drive him around, for goodness' sake.

Just as I release a deep breath, there is a knocking on my bedroom door. "You better get out there because Max just answered the door," my mother says.

My eyes widen as I open the door. "He's here already?" I shriek.

She laughs and nods, but then takes my hands in hers. "You're an adult now. You get to make adult decisions, but I'm still allowed to say please be careful," she says, "I'm not saying don't give him a second chance, you know I always believe in second chances. But I know how much you love him."

I open my mouth to speak again, but she stops me with a death glare, so I stay quiet. "All I'm saying is make him work for it, don't give in so easily. And I know that won't be a problem since we're talking about you here."

We both laugh, knowing she is right. After we hug, I decide to put Miles out of his misery and save him from Max, who is probably attacking him. My mom stays in my room. She doesn't want to meet Miles just yet. She'd rather us be on good terms before she interrogates him, which I think is a great idea.

I walk into the living room to find Miles sitting on the couch across from Max. Miles' eyes are fixated on the ground, and before he notices me, Max looks up and winks, alerting me his job is done. I stifle my laugher, shaking my head.

"Are you ready to go?" I ask, breaking the silence.

Miles' head jolts in my direction. As our eyes meet, the corners of his lips quirk upward, making my stomach flutter. He looks extremely handsome, and it makes me nostalgic. He's wearing a grey pullover sweater and khaki pants. But the scruff decorating his face is a bonus, it makes him look mature and sexy.

"I'm ready whenever you are." He smiles, walking towards me.

"You two be good and remember we have work tomorrow, I can fire you if you're late." Max points his finger at me.

"Yeah, right," I say jokingly, but then reassure him I'll be home at a decent time. He walks back to his room, or most likely my room to talk to my mom.

My nerves are through the roof, and my heart is pounding as I grab my purse off its hook along with my jacket, sliding it over my sweater. When I struggle the slightest bit, I feel hands on me.

"Let me help," Miles says. Before I can deny his request, he is already pulling my coat on for me.

"Thank you," I say, shrugging my shoulders to readjust it.

An awkward silence follows us out to his car. I buckle my seatbelt as he starts the car and melancholy feelings crash into me like a freight train. Most likely from his scent, which I had forgotten floating through the car and "Just Like Heaven" playing on the radio.