Only An Outstretched Hand

(There are very little richjake fanfictions and oneshots so here's an angsty richjake oneshot. Also this is dedicated to Trashhhcan (just imagine that your username is here okay?) (it's being annoying) )

TRIGGER WARNINGS

***

"Richard!" An angry voice yelled. "Get your ass down here right now!" 

Rich took a deep breath and wiped away his tears, trying to make it look like he wasn't crying in fear. Looking weak wouldn't help, as he'd probably be yelled at and taunted by his parents. He knew better than to cross his them, so he slowly got onto his feet and walked into the kitchen where his mother was attempting to cook eggs. She made eye contact with him and set down the spatula before picking up a cloth towel to wipe her hands off.

He kept his gaze down and slowly walked to the kitchen table, accidentally knocking into the handle of the pan causing the pan to fall on the ground, spilling the half-cooked eggs. Rich closed his eyes and started praying that this was all a bad dream. But the inhumane shrieks from his mother told him otherwise. 

"You worthless son, wasting all this stuff! Do you think I want to wake up early to make you eggs? Don't you think I have anything better to do? Who do you think is going to clean that up? Stupid boy!" 

Rich had tears forming on the edges of his eyes, but squeezed them away. He gathered up all his courage and dared to look his mother in the eye. 

"It's just three eggs. Calm the fuck down." As soon as he said it, he instantly regretted it and tried to apologize. "I'm-I'm sorry mom. Mom I didn't mean it I swear." He hugged his knees and tried to be as small as he could to protect himself from whatever his mother was about to do. 

The next few seconds were filled with tense silence as Rich tried to block out the world. 

"Worthless, useless son!" His mother shrieked while hitting him with the towel in her hand. The towel stung against his skin and sent chills down his spine. He wondered when the pain would end. After a while, his skin went numb and all he could make out was the sound of the towel slapping against his arm. He also heard his mother's distorted words which made him want to die and end it. Just end it all. Forever. 

He didn't know when she stopped. He just remembered waking up surrounded in eggshells and bright bruises. They stung a dull pain, although that's not what bothered Rich. What bothered Rich was how the bruises marked him as hurt and vulnerable. He tried to be tougher than he really was. He didn't see his mother anywhere but decided to clean up the mess anyways, fearing what she'd do if she found the eggs still there. 

It was still fairly early in the morning and if he went to school now, he'd make it to second period and only be counted late for part of the day. He threw on a jacket and knew he was probably going to die from heatstroke because it was near summertime, but anything was better than showing the bruises. He couldn't have anyone find out about what was going on at home because well, even though they were absolutely horrible, he still loved his parents. They sort of took care of him and he couldn't bear to be without them.

He arrived at school during the bell for second period and due to the business of sweaty high school kids rushing in a small hallway, he was able to fit in and make his way to class. Almost. 

Some senior accidentally shoved him against a pole, leaving him to be trampled by a million feet. He closed his eyes as people accidentally put pressure on his bruises. He winced but nobody noticed. The hall cleared up and Rich finally opened his eyes to see an outstretched hand. 

"Finally. I've been here for six minutes and to be honest, I thought you were dead or somethin'."

Rich couldn't make out the blurry figure.