CHAPTER 3

CHAPTER 3

CONNOR sat in the back of the school's computer lab, his long legs propped up on the desk in front of him. School was already dismissed but Connor made it a point to stay after school everyday. He liked to stay for as late as possible so that he wouldn't have to walk back home when everybody else was and he also wanted to make sure his mom was already at her 4:30pm yoga class so he could avoid having talking to her.

The single sheet of paper that came out of the printer had been sitting there for more than five minutes now and Connor's curiosity got the best of him. He knew it belonged to Evan, one of the boys from earlier in the hallway, and if Evan wasn't going to get off his ass and pick up whatever the hell he printed then Connor decided that he was going to deliver it to him.

"So, um... what happened to your...arm?" Connor asked as he pointed to Evan's cast, the paper from the printer in his other hand. He would be lying if he said that he didn't feel a little bit guilty about shoving Evan earlier in the hallway. Rebeca would've wanted Connor to apologize and that's exactly what Connor was planning on doing.

"Oh, I- um... I fell out of a tree, actually." Evan chuckled nervously, quickly looking from Connor then to his cast and then to the floor.

"You fell out of a tree?"

"Yeah..."

"Well that is just the saddest fucking thing I've ever heard."

Evan nodded in agreement and rubbed his nose, a nervous habit of his. "I know."

"Um... no one's.. Um.. signed your cast."

"No, I-I know."

"Well I'll sign it."

"You don't have to."

"Do you uh.. have a sharpie?" Connor asked, completely ignoring the scared look on Evan's face.

Evan pulled a sharpie out of his pocket and handed it to Connor who grabbed his arm. "Ow."

Connor took Evan's hand in one hand then began to sign it with the other.

"Oh, great. Thanks." Evan watched as Connor signed his cast, only to see that he wrote "CONNOR" in huge letters on the outer facing side of the cast.

"Yeah, now we both can pretend that we have friends." he replied, capping the sharpie and handing it back to Evan.

"T-that's a g-good.. good point." Evan walked past Connor, about to go retrieve his letter from the printer. He just wanted to get out of there.

"Is this yours?" Connor pulled the paper out of his bag and Evan's heart began to race. "I found it in the printer. It's uh.. 'Dear Evan Hansen' that's your name. Right?" he asked, a small smile on his face as he held the paper out to Evan.

"Oh, yeah! N-n-no no... T-that's just a stupid..It's a letter I-I had to write. It's an assignment." Evan reached for the letter only to have Connor snatch it back.

"Because there's Zoe?" Connor read the letter aloud, his hands starting to shake. "Is this about my sister?"

"N-no, no!"

"You wrote this because you knew that I would find it." he said, staring at the ground with the letter behind his back. The one time Connor tried to do the right thing it was all thrown back in his face.

"What?"

"Yeah. You saw that I was the only other person in the computer lab so you wrote this and printed this out so that I would find it."