step 7: chocolate syrup

"what happened, hyung?"

"nothing, jungkook."

i didn't want to tell him. i didn't want to tell jungkook that his jimin-hyung was dumped by his best friend. he knew about us. more importantly, he knew how i felt about you. 

"stop lying. tell me."

"it's nothing, kook."

he didn't budge. i knew he was going to dig some sort of answer out of me even if it would take him all night. he's a persistent one. 

"you better tell me or i'm going in there and asking yoongi-hyung myself."

"he dumped me."

his shoulders sunk, but his eyes widened. even through blurry vision, i could see the distress painted on his face.

"he what?"

"he chose his co-worker over me."

jungkook let himself fall flat on the driver seat. he scoffed, once. but once began twice. then a third time. 

"he what?" jungkook said that will a little bit more force as if reassuring your decisions as my friend. 

"his co-worker walked up to our table and he took my yoongi away." the last part faded into a murmur as i brought my sleeve to wipe away the tears. 

"how do you know he's his co-worker?"

i hiccupped. my breaths become more uneven as i tried to calm down. jungkook looked at me sympathetically, gently rubbing circles on my back as he patiently waited until i could talk again. 

"he had his name badge tugged behind his tie. it was from the company yoongi worked at."

jungkook did that thing he always did when he was aggravated. he poked his tongue on the inside of his cheek. and a fourth scoff came around. but it soon softened into pitiful, half-hearted smiles. 

"do you want ice cream?"

 i didn't want to talk. i nodded.

jungkook drove off to the same ice cream parlor you took me to. when i walked up to the counter, i was about to order a chocolate scoop but jungkook stopped me.

"two vanillas. thanks."

i was about to protest. my night had already been ruined by some beautiful angel that was probably sent from hell to take away my best friend and now i couldn't even get the ice cream flavor i wanted.

"chocolate will remind you of him, hyung. try something new."

but chocolate didn't remind me of yoongi. strawberry did. 

it reminded me of how toxic and poisonous he is to me and if i ever got too close, i might die.