Christmas on the way

'Dad please can we have a proper Christmas this year with a tree and puddings and pies and presents? Please dad. Look the others want it too.' pleaded George. Uncle Quentin thought about the matter at hand. All the children looked at him with pleading eyes even Timmy. Uncle Quentin finally gave in. ' OK you can have it this year.' The children cheered loudly. It was really good, thinking that at last there was going to be a Christmas at kirrin cottage.
As Christmas was only a week away, the children made a list of things they had to buy. Well with the four children in the house and with Christmas celebrations being planned it was really a household. The children enjoyed it very much. That day they along with uncle Quentin went to the nearest forest and cut down a tree just the right size for Christmas. The tree was kept in the garage and after tea the children went to the shops for Christmas shopping. Aunt fanny gave then enough money for shopping and their tea which they were going to have at the bakery.
Anne said,' Oh! I do wish someone gave me a puppy for Christmas. I so much want it.' 'You know you won't be allowed. Anyway you will have other good things to look forward to.' said dick. 'Oh yes I suppose.' replied Anne looking glum.
The five including Timmy roamed around the shops and then went off in different directions so that they could buy each other a present.
After two hours all trudged back to the point where they had split , laden with shopping bags of all kinds. " Let's go and have tea. Its nearly time and I am starving." said Dick. "Yes! Let's go." agreed George.
They went to the bakery and chose a table at the far end of the shop. The baker came to take their order. They ordered a great bunch of goodies which included strawberry buns , jam , marmalade , lemonade and some dog biscuits for Timmy. They all ate and drank and at last everything was finished. Julian , looking at his watch, said" Hey! Its late. We have taken more time than we were supposed to. We should probably head home." So they picked up their shopping and headed back.
As they neared the house, Julian ears suddenly pricked up and he motioned the others to hide. Two men were pacing around the house and talking in low whispers. It was almost dark and it was hard to see them but Julian noticed that one man was short and chubby while the other was quite the opposite. "They look like thieves. I never saw them around here or in the kirrin village." whispered Dick. " I wonder what they are up to." said George.
"What should we do now?" whispered Anne who was crouched behind the others looking frightened. " We should wait for them to leave. It doesn't look like they are intending to rob." said Julian.
Suddenly there was a sound of a whistle and the two men replied with the same whistle. And then hurried towards the sea.
Julian, dick , Anne and George crept out and ran towards the house. The house was closed and all lights were off. It was very strange. They opened the kitchen door and George called her mother." Mother! Mother!" But no reply. She got really worried and frantically called her mother running and searching from room to room. The others followed her.
"I hope everything is all right!" prayed Anne.