11. Anniversary

I know it's been a while since I last updated - I'm truly sorry about that. >.

I tried making this chapter longer - and actually proofread-ish it - to make up for it.

Thank you for all the comments on the last chapter! I know I don't reply much, but it's not that I don't care I'm just a very awkward panguin who has no idea what to write. Seriously though, I'll read your comments while I write to keep myself motivated. So please continue to comment. It makes my week/day.

Now I hope you enjoy.

_____________________________________________

"Ouch! Can't you do it a bit gentler?" Derek asked through a clenched jaw.

"No, I can't. I'm doing the best I can stitching up your GUNSHOT wound. Because you keep refusing seeing a real doctor," Derek didn't dare say anything, he felt like he would only agitate the person with a needle in his left arm more if he did, "you go to a vet," Evan continued ranting, "a vet in training none the less, who quite obviously therefore does not own a clinic or proper medical supplies. I hope you are happy and satisfied, because I will not be poking a needle in a human arm ever again. Never." While he ranted Evan kept his eyes trained on the wound. Derek had been lucky. The bullet had missed the bone with only a couple of millimetres to spare.

"There, finished. You're going to have an ugly scar because I don't know how to close a human wound, but there," Evan was almost huffing with worried anger. He reminded Derek of a mother. They would always get angry when they were worried. "Thanks, I really appreciate it, Evan," Derek said and jumped down from the dining table in Evan's tiny little living room.

"You're welcome. No, wait. You're not welcome, and I want an explanation. Right now please." Evan crossed his arms and for once looks and personality matched perfectly. Evan was actually pretty scary when angry. Derek tried a small smile, but Evan only continued to glare at him.

With a sigh Derek started talking, "Evan, I'm really grateful for the help, but I can't involve you any more than this. You could get seriously hurt."

"Oh, you mean like you?" He is seriously pissed, Derek thought.

"Yes, like me. That's why I can't invol-"

"Are you doing something illegal, Derek?" Evan asked with a voice full of worry. Derek glanced at him and saw that his stance had shifted from crossed arms to hugging himself. So Evan even had the motherly mood swings, too.

"If I say I'm not sure, but it's for the greater good, will you believe it and let me go?"

Evan's eyes narrowed into a glare again. Guess that's a no.

"Derek, you are going to tell me right now what you're doing or, so help me god, I will drag your puny arse to the nearest hospital and let them have a look at you." The way he said it, Derek actually believed him.

Derek bit his lip in thought. Should he tell Evan? Did he dare to? He would be putting Evan into a lot of danger by telling. Derek glanced back up at Evan from the interesting floorboard he had been staring at.

"If I tell you, you will be put at risk. Are you completely sure you want to know?" Derek asked, with a grave voice. Evan seemed to think for a moment, but then nodded. "I want to know." Derek sighed. This was not what he'd planned. He didn't want to involve Evan. You could lie, a voice in his mind whispered. Derek shook the thought out of his head. He'd tell Evan the truth and then just make sure he didn't get involved any further.

"Alright, remember the murder that was reported in the news a short while ago? The man whose limbs had been chopped off and laid out in a star shape?" Evan nodded, "That man's name was Henry and he once gave me some of the new drugs going around. He was terribly drunk when he gave them to me, so I don't think he really knew what he was doing. Okay, jump back in time. A friend of mine told me he was in need of a place to stay, so I let him stay at my place. Turned out he had been supposed to sell some drugs, but he didn't sell it all. He was told he was selling coke, but after having sold some of it he discovered that it wasn't. So he dumped the rest and ran off. Of course I didn't know this, so when the mafia came looking for him I was quite surprised. Long story short, they brought me in to interrogate me, but stopped in the middle because someone named Don ordered them to. With me so far?"