A Girl?

Unknown Character

Spoken in Cherokee Language

"Adahy! I can never catch one here brother!"

I turn around to find my brother struggling to throw his spear.

Laughing I say, " just stop..."

I stand up to walk to him when his spear at that very moment had pierced its way through a fish.

"Brother! Brother! Look!"

He jumps only to hit the stick and allow the fish to swim off. Before I begin to laugh at him disappointingly, my two close friends fall onto their backs laughing so loudly I was sure it could be heard throughout the entire forest. I smile at their ridiculousness. Laughter is the sun that drives winter from a human face; it is a language everyone understands.

"Darn! I'm going to go somewhere else to fish..."

Knowing already what he was thinking, I quickly respond,

"You better not be going to rocks point."

He let out an exaggerated sigh only to walk off with his shoulders slumped responding,

"Fineeee."

I laughed a little.

"Go on then. Come back soon, I have to meet with father."

Meet with father. Stepfather. The cruelest man I've known. I had lost my father in battle, and since that moment as a child, I have wanted to avenge him. So I trained. I trained for hours, gaining strength, risking my life countless of times only to become one of the strongest warriors in our region. Stepfather had also lost his son due to sickness. I was desperate for a father figure, and he was desperate for a son. So he took me in, and it worked out perfectly for a while... only 'till I found out how truly wicked he was. He has so much anger in him and a strong thirst for power. If I could have walked away long ago, I would have...deep in the forest...where I know my way inside and out. But I am the chief's son, and therefore, I shall become the next chief. I need to change and fix the chaos he has caused upon my people and those of other tribes.

I was interrupted from my thoughts when my friend caught me gazed.

"Hey! Adahy! Stop thinking so much my friend, you're scaring me."

I let out a sigh.

"I'm sorry Waya."

I turn to Degataga.

"I'm sorry Degataga. I've just been so stressed out lately. So much is going on...it's just crazy.

Degataga smiles at me.

"You're a good man Adahy. You'll become a good Chief someday. I know it."

I return his smile.

"Thank you Degataga."

"Under you, we'll be the most powerful tribe! We can take over all of our surrounding tribes, gain all of the land, then we'll be unstoppable!" exclaimed Waya with an evil grin.

I sigh and struggle a smile. Similar to my father, Waya thirsts for power. It is difficult to speak with him at times because he reminds me so much of my father and so much of who I don't want to be. Before I can respond to his statement, I hear a faint cry,

"Alisdelvdi!!!!!"

Help. All of our heads pop up at once at the call for help. We look at one another, a secret communication through one another's eyes, and we all run towards the sound. But we froze. For there was someone else who had heard his cry, a man from the village. His clothing distinguished him. He was fast, even faster than some of our tribe members. He jumped skillfully from rock to rock. I thought to myself,

Only natives run and jump that skillfully...

I continued to watch in awe as he jumped around dangerous rocks, finally reaching the speed of Tooantuh. He had no fear taking a risk of a large jump, but he paid the consequences by falling and hitting his head. He takes no break into breaking back into a sprint...but this time...I see long hair floating in the wind from where his head had hit. Alongside of me I barely hear Degataga whisper under his breath,

"A girl?"  

~Thank you, thank you, thank you for over 100 views! My views have been increasing and I'm so very thankful. Please leave your thoughts in comments and vote if you like! :) So nooooow you have been introduced to the 2nd main character of the story which I'm super excited to tell you more about in future chapters!

Cherokee Words/Definitions:

Degataga-male name meaning "standing together"

Waya- male name meaning "wolf"

If you have read closely, you can begin to tell how their names represent their personalities ;)

~