Prologue

The sky was peircing blue and the sun lit everything up. The grass was green and smelled fresh. It was all peaceful in the little neighborhood.

Two twelve-year-olds played in the back of a large white house. They were running around and playing pretend like they would if they were younger. Their mothers sat on the porch, drinking tea and laughing.

"Come and get me!" The blonde haired girl screamed happily. She was running from the boy, who was pretending to be a zombie. She stopped and held her rubber band gun steady; then she shot him. The band hit him straight between his blue eyes.

The boy- Carl- fell to the ground, holding his forehead in his hands. The girl stopped laughing and ran over to her friend. She kneeled beside him and tried to move his hand, but it wouldn't budge. Then he jumped at her, laughing and trying to pin her to the soft ground.

"Roar!" He growled, still pretending to be a zombie. The girl was helplessly pinned, laughing to the point of wheezing and crying.

"Not... Not f-fair!" She managed to get out. "I shot you!" Carl let go of her hands, but still straddled her legs.

"Fine, now you're the zombie."

"I don't want to play anymore." She retorted. Her green eyes were looking over Carl's shoulder, to the parents. Her mom- Annetta Perold- was seen inside, watching the television with a hand over her mouth. Lori Grimes, Carl's mother, was also watching Mrs. Perold.

Carl noticed his friend wasn't paying any attention to him. He turned to look at the adults while getting off of her.

"Something's wrong." She said softly. The girl can read her mom like a book; almost anyone can. Annetta came out and whispered in fast words to Lori. Carl looked at his friend.

"It's all fine." He reassured her. She wasn't feeling it though.

"Skylar!" Annetta yelled in an urgent tone. Skylar looked at Carl and got up. Carl followed her so he could say walk her to the car and say goodbye.

"Carl, stay in the house." Lori ordered. Carl looked at his mom and back to Skylar. She shook her head and followed her mom out the door.

Both the kids wished that they knew that was their last time seeing each other. Maybe Carl wouldn't have listened to his mom. Maybe he would have stayed with his best friend. Maybe they wouldn't have to never see each other again.