Chapter 5

Skylar liked storytime. Carol's voice was a nice distraction. She sat in the back with Patrick as Carol read. She read Huckleberry Finn; a book Skylar was supposed to be reading if there was still school. Carol changed voices for each character and kept everyone entertained. Skylar wished she could have kept reading, but Carol stopped at the end of the chapter.

When Carol put down the book, she got out a box. Skylar looked at Patrick, thinking maybe it was treats or something. He smiled at her and patted her knee. When Skylar looked back, she saw the box held knives. The kids seemed totally fine with it. Even as she started to show them how to use the knife, they were still interested in it. By the middle, Patrick started to cough and told them he had to leave, Skylar was going to follow, but he said he just needed water. And as he left, Carl came in. He seemed confused as he took in the scene.

Carol noticed him and gave him a pleading look and said: "Please don't tell your father." Carl stood for a second longer and then raced out of the room. Skylar didn't know why but she had to go get him and try to talk to him. Skylar ran out the door and ran down the hallway to her right. She could see Carl walking swiftly away.

"Carl!" She called. He didn't stop or turn. "Carl!" Skylar picked up her pace, her boots echoing through the hall. When she got close he stopped abruptly, making Skylar almost hit him.

"What do you want?" Carl snapped at her. Skylar was stunned. He was never mean to her or used such a tone.

"I just wanted to know what was wrong."

"Carol's teaching them how to use knives!"

"So?"

"So they're kids!"

"Carl, there's a zombie apocalypse. They need to know what to do." Skylar kept her voice calm. Carl glared at her, not looking as calm as his old friend was sounding.

"What are you even doing here?" He asked rudely. Well, at least he finally asked.

"What do you mean?" She took a step back.

"You just think you can walk in here and everything is alright. Like we should all be happy." Carl was getting mad by the second. "You left me and now you want to be friends again."

"I didn't have a choice!" Skylar was exasperated. She didn't understand why he was bringing this up now. "If I could have stayed with you, I would have! And you're the one who just walked away from me today!"

"I haven't seen you in two years. I've grown up. I've had to face stuff you can't imagine. You have to grow up. No more kid stuff." Carl looked down. "I can't be your friend anymore. You have Patrick." Before Skylar could say another word, Carl turned back around and continued walking off.

~~

Patrick was sick for the rest of the day. Skylar didn't mind; she didn't want to see anyone. She lay on her bed, not making a sound, but had a large lump stuck in her throat. She had the feeling that she needed- wanted- to cry, but she couldn't. She wanted to shake him and scream she has been living in the same world he has been living in. She's had to see plenty of death. She wanted to tell him that she felt like she couldn't have a normal young kid life. And he's right, no more kid stuff, but she isn't trying to be a kid with him. At least she didn't think she came off that way. As if she could have made any sort of impression because he just ignored her and walked away.

She remembered Carl as a shy kid, but he was sweet and funny when he was around his friends. Skylar had always loved that about him. If she fell and cut her knees or hands and cried, he'd be there to make her smile. He would play whatever game she wanted to play and would share his video games with her. They would trade comic books and read together.

But now he was mad and moody looking, and Skylar didn't know why. She knew he was mad about her leaving him, but he has to understand that she had no control. Her parents wanted to find a safe place, even if it meant leaving friends. And he shouldn't be worried about the kids knowing how to use a knife. He's not much older than them; he can't tell them what to do or make Carol think he can control her.

It happened, get over it.