welcome to new york!

Alexandra Hamilton wrote this essay at the age of twenty, expressing her deep hatred of this subject.

However, our story begins a year before. A hurricane unlike any other had destroyed Nevis, her home. And she was lucky enough to get the scholarship she had been dreaming of since freshman year.

She was accepted into King's College under the Hope scholarship, and though she was a semester late, they still accepted her with open arms. She was given a free plane ticket. One way. To New York city. She stayed in a hotel for a night and the next day an Uber driver was called to take her.

The Uber dropped her off at the college's admittance office around noon. She stalked in; her backpack on her back and her suitcase in hand. She was given her schedule and dorm key. She grinned, and found her way to her class.

Alex waltzed into the History room like a woman on a mission. Like she was going to make college her bitch. Her eyes scanned the room, and once she'd acquired her target, she sat next to him. Aaron Burr. She tapped on his shoulder confidently. He turned to her, giving her the once over.

"Pardon me. Are you Aaron Burr?" she asked, voice clear. Burr gave a small smile, turning to face her. He gave an amused smile.

"That depends. Who's asking?" he replied, leaning back in his seat and crossing his arms. She smiled.

"Oh sure. I'm Alexandra Hamilton. At your service." she introduced herself, giving a mock salute. "I've been looking for you."

Burr raised an eyebrow slightly. "I'm getting nervous."

Alex gave a small laugh.

"I heard your name when I asked around about who to talk to about getting caught up in this class. They say you're a history whiz. And well, I got sort of.. out of sorts with a buddy of yours. He dates that Maria girl." Alex explained, cheeks flushing. Burr raised both eyebrows this time.

"You punched James Reynolds?" he asked in a slightly disbelieving tone.

"He was treating me like I was stupid! His girlfriend too." she defended, cheeks growing a darker shade of grey as Burr watched. "Anyways.. could you catch me up?" she asked, eyes full of determination. Burr thought a moment.

"You're new?" he asked, leaning all the way back again.

"Fresh off the boat from Nevis. I was lucky enough to be accepted into a college in America."

"You must be smart then.." he said, nodding as he rubbed the back of his neck. "Fine. If you're serious about this, we'll meet up this afternoon, say at 6? The library on Mercer Street?"

Alex smiled widely, nodding eagerly.

"Thank you!" she said, hugging him tightly. She jerked back, though. When a wolf whistle sounded from the door.

Three guys had walked in; and were making a big show of pointing at herself and Burr. They staggered over, still all dramatic.

"Oh Burr! Who is this?" a handsome guy with a thick French accent said, winking at Alex. She chuckled a little, and offered her hand for a shake. He, to her surprise, kissed the top of her hand instead.

"She's like hot Burr!" another said, his voice loud and rough. She liked how it sounded. This one was not as tall as the Frenchman, but was muscular. He wore a shirt to show his muscles off. He smiled at her. "I'm Hercules, but you can call me Herc, baby. This is Lafeyette and lil Laurens." he said, pointing to the Frenchman and then the other guy.

"You're a manwhore, Herc. Leave her alone." the last guy, Laurens, snorted. He smiled at her. He was cute, his long hair back in a low ponytail. He wasn't much taller than her, definitely the shortest of the bunch.

The rest of the guys said obscenities at Laurens, while Herc shoved him. They all went back to laughing, and joking. Burr went back to chatting up the pretty girl behind him. Alex interjected in the guys' conversation.

"My name is Alexandra Hamilton." she introduced, standing next to Laurens. The guys nodded and smiled; and went back to the their debate over which whiskey was better, which Alex eagerly joined in on. When class started, they all took seats near each other; Professor Washington asking them politely in a booming voice to shut the hell up. Alex took notes, and listened intently. She answered most of Washington's questions, much to the general annoyance of the class and the delight of her professor.

When class was over, Laurens and the gang invited her to lunch. She, of course, accepted. She'd never had a group of friends like this before.

Hercules, Lafayette, and Laurens made their way to the restaurant, which was actually a sports bar. It was dead at three in the afternoon, but the bartender seemed to know what to do. He gave them their normal orders and took hers. They sat in a old looking booth; Hercules next to Lafayette, and Alex and Laurens across from them.

Alex drank her lemonade, and listened to their playful banter. It wasn't until the conversation turned to her that things went crazy.

"So, mon chiere, where are you from? You are not from America, eh?" Lafayette asked her. She flushed and told Lafayette of her home, how it was destroyed in a hurricane. This resulted in the Frenchman giving her a sad look, and Hercules ordering a beer. Laurens frowned.

"That's sad. What are you doing here?" Laurens asked finally, after the food had gotten passed out. Alex considered this. She took a bite of her burger.

"I am not throwing away my shot. That's why I'm here." she finally said, finishing up her food. They all heard this and smiled. She gave them a wink.

"I gotta get going. But put your numbers in my phone?" she asked, offering her iPhone up. A perk of being a hurricane refugee. They all eagerly did so. She departed, smile bigger than anything. Laurens offered a a quick hug, and she was off.

What she didn't notice was how Laurens tensed when she hugged him. Or how he looked like he'd seen a ghost when she pulled away.

She left as if nothing had happened.

He practically fell into his seat. Hercules and Lafayette gave him a concerned look.

"Are you okay, kid?" Herc husked, eyeing him. Laurens looked to him, eyes wide.

"She's.. She's.. She's my soulmate." he said softly. Lafayette's eyes widened and he leaned in.

"Quoi! You saw le colors?" he asked in a hushed voice. Laurens nodded vigorously, eyes tearing up. Hercules gaped, looking from Laurens to the door Alex had exited.

"Oh my.. Laf, the colors.. They're.. so beautiful.." he whispered in a awestruck voice. Lafayette leaned in, smiling a little. He patted Laurens on the back.

"Félicitations. Elle est belle." he said, congratulating Laurens, who was still on the verge of tears.

But Hercules was frowning.

"If you're soulmates.. Why didn't she stop?" he asked slowly. Lafayette looked to him. He narrowed his eyes.

"What?" he and Laurens both asked, the latter looking fragile. Hercules glanced to him.

"She didn't stop. She went on walking, like she-" but a deadpan Laurens cut him off.

"Like she didn't see the colors."

Lafayette and Hercules gave him a wide eyed look. Laurens looked.. broken.

"She's mine.. But I'm not hers." he said softly.

// poor baby Laurens.. i feel no pity tho.