Chapter One: Good Morning

His eyes shot open.

Nick was lying in his bed after returning from a late night case at work. Adalind, Trubel, and even Kelly were all asleep by the time he had finally been able to drift off. Within the past few days, or really years, Nick had been on edge. Ever since he had become a Grimm, life had gotten a little more... complicated, and only more so as time passed. He lost his mom and Juliette, but by some miracle, he had gotten Trubel back. Of course, she was injured, attacked in the hospital (and Nick couldn't help thinking that it was his fault that she was put in danger - he should have stayed with her), but she was back. With the help of Meisner, Nick was able to get Trubel to his house safely; he was even able to talk to her. She told him that she was part of a government group and that the world was being ravaged by some Wesen war that no one knew about. That definitely didn't put his mind at ease.

So, when he was woken up by a crash that came from the inside of his house, his eyes shot open.

"Nick?" Adalind whispered. "Nick, did you hear that?"

"Yeah," he whispered back. "Stay here."

Nick felt around in the darkness for his gun. It was always loaded; all he needed to do was point and shoot.

He turned to Adalind and put his finger to his lips. "Shhhhh."

As fast as he could, he opened the door to the living area and flicked on the light. With everything illuminated, he scanned the room for a threat. And that was when he saw one of the only things that could scare him.

He looked from the empty bed back to the kitchen floor where he saw the figure slumped over against the counter.

He stared, stunned for the moment before lowering his gun.

"Trubel?"

Before he knew it, he was running over to her.

Adalind stepped out of the bedroom, watching Nick.

"Is everything okay?" she asked.

"I don't know. I can't call the hospital after what happened," he said in a panicked voice. He watched Trubel breathing deeply, holding on tight to her side. "I don't know what to do," he said helplessly. He was looking around, but he didn't know what for.

"Nick," Trubel panted, looking up at him.

Nick turned to look at her as he kneeled further into the broken glass and a pool of a dark red, sticky substance.

Trubel looked up at Nick. He could clearly see the pain in her expression, but he could also see that she was trying to hide it.

"Nick. I'm okay" she promised him in a breathy voice.

"Should I call Rosalee? Maybe she could help." Adalind asked from the bedroom doorway.

"No, no! I'm fine," Trubel said as she attempted to get up. It might have been a successful attempt if Nick hadn't pushed her back down on the ground.

"Don't move," he commanded sternly.

Trubel didn't like that. "Nick, really, I'm alright," she protested a little more vehemently than before.

They locked eyes, Trubel watching Nick's panicked face and Nick watching Trubel's pleading expression.

Nick sighed in defeat. "We're okay, Adalind. You can go back to bed," he called while looking only at Trubel. Then, he turned to Adalind and assured, "I won't be long."

"Okay," Adalind said hesitantly. "If you need anything, just call me." She walked back into the bedroom and shut the door to give them some privacy. This was a Grimm thing, and she could tell they wanted to sort it out by themselves, though she was concerned for Trubel.