Chapter 2

The impact didn't kill him, but the water almost did. Which was ironic, since he was the son of Poseidon.

The water was ice cold, and it knocked the air out of his lungs when it hit him. Percy's body turned rigid, and as he lost the ability to move his limbs, he began to sink.
He tried to breathe the black liquid, but all he did was make him feel worse.
Then came the voices. Strange wailing sounds filled his ears, a million heartbroken voices, as if the river was made of pure sadness.

Why fight it? What's the point of struggling? They asked you'll die anyway, why oppose it?
Percy could just sink to the bottom. He could just give up. It would be so easy to just let the current carry him, and dissolve into the river...

No.

No Percy couldn't. He couldn't give up, he couldn't die. Not here, Not yet. He still had business to do.

Percy called on the currents again. And this time he wouldn't take no for an answer. He yelled defiantly, and the water exploded, propelling him upward. As he broke the surface, he gasped for air. It was better than the river of sadness, as poisonous as it tasted.

Percy began paddling toward the river bank, which he made out to be  about a dozen feet away. he tried to sustain the current that had brought him up, but the sudden burst of energy he used had gone as quick as it had came. he struggled, but now the currents were dragging him back under.

life is misery. you'll be better off dead. join us. 

the voices crept back into his mind. pointless. maybe they're right. maybe he shouldn't have to safe the world all over again. maybe Gaea was right. maybe oblivion is better than this. Percy stopped paddling again. he lets the currents drag him back down. he took another breath in the black water, and suddenly the tiring feeling didn't feel so bad.

even misery can be calming if you let it be.

Percy looked into the darkness below him. the monotone black now seemed almost relaxing. it was constant, never changing, dependable. misery never goes away, people just find ways to deal with it. maybe just accepting it is the best way.

Percy's train of thought was interrupted when he felt a tug on the small of his back. He turned his head to see a bungee cord, stretching from his back up to the shore, now about ten feet away. At the end of the cord, He could make out a feminine figure pulling him up.

"Your not getting away from me that easily, seaweed brain." Annabeth pulled on the cord again, wrenching me toward her. She was dressed in jeans and the Camp Half Blood orange T-shirt, her hair was tucked into her Yankees cap, which seemed to still have not regained its magic, as she was still visible.The chorus of wailing noises faded into the background. How could Percy despair? Annabeth was right there in front of him. 

Strength returned to his limbs, and Percy swam toward the surface. with the last of his strength, Percy kicked himself onto the riverbank. "Gee wise girl, here to save me as usual," Percy said as ha gasped for breath. "Whats with the whole bungee cord though? kinda like..." Percy looked up, but there was no one there.

"That time in the Styx..."

Hi guys
Just letting you know I'm going to try and update at least once a week from now on
Thanks for reading :)