[01]

how they were so in love.

true soulmates.

what they called, 'how young love should be'.

ask anyone about those two, and they'd comment on how perfect they were.

the ideal relationship, and friendship.

shane scoffed and laughed at all the worthless praise, all while he was alone. how dumb to think of love as a real, tangible concept.

he did, in his defense. he did act like the best boyfriend one could have. a rare chance to get a person with his personality, they say. a real gentleman. he did act like he was part of a perfect couple, that he was the soulmate to someone, and he had just as lucky to get a partner just like him. a great personality. nice. sweet. a gentleman. truly in love, with no hidden agenda.

a smirk tugged on his cherry-red lips just thinking about it. though not one of happiness, or gratitude, but one of bad intentions, and it turned into a wide grin to himself as he laid back on the couch, all alone in a usually nice, comfortable and cozy apartment.

he wasn't home right now. shane was all alone. he had the space to himself.

this was when, times like these, when no one was around, that he revealed his true colors. manipulative. he looked at other people in a relationship—like ned fulmer and his wife, in disgust, hidden behind happiness and joyfulness that he expressed every time he was around them.

it wasn't easy. to take on an act like that, pretending like you cared about anyone or loved anyone. pretend that you cared about how sara rubin and how she expressed all her problems to him, on late night phone calls where she had told things she never dared to tell anyone else, solely for the reason that she trusted shane so strongly, something you couldn't, and wouldn't, give to any other person.

pretend that he cared about ryan bergara every time they were together, and they held hands in the streets and received warm and nice gazes from many people in public, in awe of just how 'natural' they looked. he had to give compliments and tried his best to make sure that everything was believable, from how he took care of him when he was sick to having a shoulder to cry on when ryan had problems.

in reality, all he really cared about was himself, and no one realized it.