Chapter 3: The Dinner

The Burrow was packed. Arthur had forgotten it was Sunday today when he invited the Gramgers to dinner, so everyone - Arthur, Molly, Bill, Fleur, Charlie, Percy, Audrey, George, Ron, Ginny, Harry, and Hermione - was there for the weekly Sunday dinner. Throw Nancy and Richard in the mix and the house was almost bursting at the seams.

Even though everyone tried acting as though nothing had happened, the tension in the atmosphere was so thick it could be cut with a knife. Ron and Ginny had told their siblings of the events that took place the previous night, so all the Weasleys knew of their parents' fight upon their arrival at the Burrow. Molly did not let on that anything had happened, not knowing her kids already knew, and, despite his various attempts, would not even look at or acknowledge Arthur. Arthur would not divulge the reason for the fight no matter what tactics his kids used to weasel it out of him. Other than Molly's coldness toward Arthur, the Weasleys, Harry, and Hermione did such a fine job at hiding this tension that Fleur, Audrey, and the Grangers did not suspect anything was out of the ordinary.

Before dinner, Nancy pulled Arthur outside while everyone else was busy helping with dinner or talking. Arthur cast Muffliato to prevent being overheard anyway.

"I swear, if you say you've changed your mind..." Arthur said before Nancy could open her mouth.

"W-what? No, no, I haven't." Arthur's sudden attitude change shocked Nancy. "I was just wondering how you wanted to do this since you didn't stick around long enough to discuss it yesterday."

"Well, excuse me if I didn't know how to feel about this," Arthur said sarcastically. "I could gain a daughter and lose my family all within twenty four hours."

"Ok. Look, I'm sorry, but I'm not the one who decided to do this today," Nancy retorted. "We can do this later this week if you need to sort out your feelings on this or if you want to think of a different way to break them up permanently," she offered.

"No, Nancy, we can't. I already told Molly that I slept with someone else and have another daughter, though she doesn't know with whom or when, but either way my marriage may be over."

"Oh, now you're just overreacting -"

"- Overreacting? I am not overreacting," Arthur interrupted. "Infuriated is an understatement to describe Molly's attitude when I told her. Today she hasn't done anything to me because the kids are around. She's just been ignoring me all day."

"You didn't have to tell her right away."

"I didn't. I told her at four a.m. because I couldn't sleep and it was gnawing away at me. I could barely deal with not telling her that I cheated on her, but this whole daughter thing..." he trailed off.

"'Daughter thing'? If you don't want anything to do with her then you don't -" Nancy began before Arthur cut her off.

"- I did not say that. She is my daughter and I want to form a father-daughter relationship with her. How could you think I wouldn't?"

"Oh, I don't know. Maybe with the way you're acting..."

"I'm not upset with her. I'm upset with you for not telling me about her. I've missed so many important events in her life because you kept this from me. And, before you say anything, letting her stay here as my son's friend is completely different than letting her stay here as my daughter."

"Arthur, -" Nancy was about to explain why she didn't tell him about Hermione, but was interrupted by Molly calling everyone in for dinner.

"Alright, everyone! Dinner is ready! Come on!" Molly's voice rang throughout the house and yard, calling everyone to the table.