SEVEN

"He's burning up, again!" Melanie exclaimed, pulling her hand away from Ryan's skin while attempting to shake off the heat from the short contact. She looked up at Brendon with worry filled eyes, "What did you do?"

"I didn't do anything!" Brendon countered as he distastefully peeled his false skin. He hated showing his true form. He hated that the potion Melanie had given him was burned away by that stupid human that was unconscious on his floor.

"It's okay." Melanie soothed said human as she trailed her hand in the air just over his body, "Calm yourself. Just listen to my voice..."

Ryan's head tilted towards her and, though his eyes remained closed, his eyebrows raised as if he was looking at her. She just smiled down at him.

"You're alright..." She soothed, "Just cool yourself..."

"What the fuck is he?" Brendon demanded, rising to his feet as some of the faux skin on his cheek began to curl like old paper, revealing the crackled, gray skin underneath. "Humans can't do this."

"You're the one that had him sacrificed." Melanie said. Her hand dropped to Ryan's head, landing on his limp curls. She directed her gaze to Brendon, "You should know."

Brendon shook his head. "He was human! That's what I asked for. He can't still be human, though, not at those tempatures!"

Melanie pulled her hand away from Ryan's hair and rose to her feet. She looked at Brendon silently before looking down at her potion bag and beginning to dig. "Perhaps he is meant for something more..." She whispered as she pulled a small bottle of shimmering, gray powder from the bag.

"How?" Brendon held back a smirk, "He's dead."

"Dead, not done." Was Melanie's reply as she held the small bottle out to Brendon. "For your skin." She added.

Brendon eagerly snatched up the bottle. He ripped the cork out and brought the small bottle to his lips, chugging the powdery substance.

"I'll need my payment today." Melanie said as she continued to dig around in her small potions bag, "For this visit and the last."

Brendon pulled the bottle away from his lips, crushing it in his hand. Before his eyes, his cover skin was regenerating over where it had peeled or burned. It was working again. "Fine. Let's do it."

Melanie nodded, but didn't look up from her potions bag. "I have something new to help with payments..." She trailed off, "It's supposed to relinquish more essence..."

"Really?" Brendon raised an eyebrow to her, "You're really going to fuck me up, aren't you?"

Melanie just smiled as she pulled another small bottle from her bag. She easily popped off the cork and poured a generous amount of red, shimmering power in the palm of her hand. "I can't say how long the effects of it will last. I've never used it before."

"Fuck me up." Brendon grinned, stepping closer to the witch.

She reached out for Brendon's hand, pulling him closer until they were toe to toe. "Don't hold your breath." She sped through her words before blowing on the powder in her hand. It flew into the air, quickly swirling and getting inhaled by each of them. Brendon flinched as the dust seemed to coat his eyes. He wanted to ask what exactly this stuff did, but something in his brain switched. He was suddenly fully engaged in the creature before him, seeing her through a pink haze.

"This speeds up the... Process." Melanie spoke quickly, pausing to bite her lip before adding her last word.

Brendon nodded, but barely heard her. He leaned in, but she was the one to grab his shoulders and pull him close enough to lock their lips.

It was sloppy. It was intense. It ended up on the bed. Whatever magic Melanie used had sent them both into a lust filled frenzy that lasted Hell only knows how long. Near the end of it, however, Melanie had found her way on top of Brendon. She pinned his hands beside his head and smirked.

"I need that essence, Brendon." She practically growled.

Brendon grinned. "Take it." He taunted.

Melanie shot down, stopping just short of his lips. She whispered something and Brendon's eyes crossed for an instant before she had kissed him again.

Rather than something long and passionate, however, this kiss was sweet and to the point. She pulled away from Brendon's mouth, bringing a grayish clump of empty light with her. Brendon rose up, as if drawn by whatever was being taken from him, but fell back to the bed when Melanie clasped a hand over his mouth.

His eyes were really crossing now. He felt dizzy and drained. He could feel Melanie's weight lift from his torso and shift in different places on the mattress, but it took him longer to actually register that she moved and that her hand no longer covered his mouth.

"What was that?.." He mumbled as he tried to focus his vision.

"Powdered lust." Melanie replied from somewhere else in the room, "I may have used too much, but it was my first time using it. I'll learn the correct amount through deals to come."

A small smile tugged at Brendon's lips. "So... I was the guinea pig?"

"You did such a good job of it." Brendon felt Melanie tap his cheek, "It was fun, though excessive."

Brendon nodded, shutting his eyes. "How much essence?"

"You'll be fine." Melanie replied, "Just rest it off. He'll be fine too, in case you were wondering."

"Who?"

There was a pause. "Goodnight, Brendon." Melanie finally said, "I'll see my way out."

Brendon dully nodded, feeling exhaustion wash over him. From what he could remember of the experience, before slipping into darkness, it was definitely fun...