Knowing Better

I actually really liked writing this, even though it came after such a heavy chapter. Maybe that's why . . . I like interludes where stuff gets sorted out. And trust me - Jessie knows how to get through to Clara.

Enjoy!

***

For several tense seconds, Jessie and Clara just stared each other down. Finally, Jessie tilted her head. "Doctor, she's not saying anything," she said sweetly. "Should I take that as she's leaving?"

Clara finally lunged forward, grabbed Jessie's wrist, and dragged her to the door. "Guess not?" the Doctor said meekly as Clara manhandled his wife out of the TARDIS.

Wanda slowly shook her head. "That will get ugly," she remarked.

"I think it will, yes," the Doctor winced. "Coffee run, anyone?"

"I could use one," Pietro nodded rapidly.

"Agreed," Wanda turned around, and the Doctor immediately made the TARDIS fly off.

None of them wanted to witness what the two women would throw at each other.

***

"Clara?" Rose asked in confusion when the two women marched down the hall, Clara fuming, Jessie looking . . . amused?

"Not right now, Rose!" Clara ground out, opening her door. "In. Now."

Jessie slipped in without another word. "It happened, didn't it?" Rose asked knowingly. Clara just gave her a dirty look and slammed the door shut.

"What was that about?" Danny asked as he walked past, staring at Clara's door in surprise.

"I think Clara had a bad day," Rose answered, walking off.

***

Clara sat down on her desk as Jessie sat in one of the kids' desks, her legs crossed. "Why?" she asked, folding her arms. "Why the hell did you leave?"

"Look at me," Jessie answered simply.

"I am looking at you!" Clara hissed. "I am looking right at you!"

"Not hard enough," Jessie shook her head. "Did you wonder why Pietro was as upset as you, then suddenly wasn't? When was that moment, Clara? When did Pietro realize he shouldn't be angry?"

"When we got back on the TARDIS," Clara frowned. "I don't see why this is important, Bad Wolf."

Jessie sighed, leaning back. "Clara, let me teach you some Time Lord speak. If the Doctor or I ever say 'I'm always all right,' we are most certainly not. And if we ever say 'I'm completely fine,' that probably means the opposite."

Clara frowned, then leaned forward. "Oh, my God," her eyes widened.

"There it is," Jessie smiled slightly.

"But – " Clara jumped off the desk, looking closer at Jessie's face. "You look horrible!"

"Just what every woman wants to hear, Clara," Jessie said sarcastically. "But yes, you're looking now. That's good."

"You look sick!" Clara continued, eyes wide. "Oh, my stars, you're not sick, are you? You're never sick!"

"That's the thing, Clara," Jessie stood up. "Physically, I'm completely fine. I'm not sick, nothing's broken, nothing's not working. I'm in better shape than most Olympic athletes, and yet, this happened to me on the moon."

"Why?" Clara pressed. "How?"

"Well," Jessie leaned against the wall. "The Doctor and I are debating between two things. It might have been both. Option one is that I had a panic attack. Option two is that I was ridiculously overstressed."