The Escape

My heart races, my eyes dart everywhere for anything to climb on or to squeeze through. My mind races, every thought possible comes through like horses in a raceway. "Stop or I will shoot!" One of the police officers yells out, we slow down. My life will end and my freedom will be forever shackled. "Hey!" A grunted and low voice echoes from the sky, we all look up to see the bearded man waving his hands away. The police officers take out their assault rifles and begin shooting the roof. Debri starts falling, I cover the young girl with my back. I hear more ladies coming out from their homes to see, some scream in horror.

As the cops begin to reload their guns, the bearded man stands back up with a small can in his hands. "Don't inhale the smoke!" He yelled out, the police officers look at him in confusion. But I can tell that he spoke to use. We held our breaths and step back as he threw the small can towards the police officers. It explodes with heavy gray smoke sweeping the streets. The officer's cough and gag, the nearby bystanders start running away in a panic. "Poison!" Some would yell. Some started to barricade their homes with heavy beatings from their hammers. My body trembles in fear, but oddly...not for myself, rather for the young girl.

The bearded man threw rope at us, "Hold onto it and don't let go, I'll pull you up!" He said. The young girl was the first to grab the rope. The bearded man pulled her up, one of the police officers recovered from the gas and aimed her gun at the young girl. I gasped and grabbed a piece of debri from the roof and threw it at the police officer. A direct hit as the police officer landed on her back. Blood started to trickle from the police officer, the other cop, still coughing and wheezing went up to her partner. Two fingers were laid on her neck, her face turned from pain to a horror unimaginable. She was dead. I killed someone.

I looked at my hand, at the blood-stained brick, and at the dead officer. I have seen death, brutal and blood curling deaths. But never have I killed. "Hey, get your ass over here!" The bearded man said. I looked at the rope and back at the officer. I deserve the death penalty, a life lost is a mark of death. "Hurry up, the gas is wearing off!" He was right. The gas slowly faded and the grieving officer would recover her breath. I began climbing the rope while the bearded man pulled me up. As I reached the rooftop, he offered his hand to my aid. "C'mon, we have to escape!" I held his hand in mine and we began running on the rooftop.

My mind is clouded with fear and thread. A feeling that death will linger and blood will be spilled. My mother is still waiting for me to return. She will be sentenced to death if I do not turn myself in. We continued running until we reach an arc connected to a roof. For we are lucky that the buildings are connected. The buildings in my village are connected in an arc, with the left side of the arc known as the streets of forgotten and the right side known as the streets of the remembered. In other words, poverty on the left and rich on the right.

We stopped in our tracks, panting and recovering. My feet ache and legs on fire. I taste blood from my throat yet no blood is seen. "We seem to escape for now." The bearded man said, he glanced to the side of the arc for any officers. His voice felt rich, deep and filled with the taste of adventure. A red scarf on his neck with the tail of the scarf as long as a tower, a jacket tight on his body enough to see his strong muscles from his body and arms. Jeans as rough as the dry ground. And long brown boots that looked heavily damaged and dented in some areas. His waist was equipped with a knife with an unusual blade, the rope he used: sturdy & thick. And a piece of paper with a drawing. His face, tanned and scars. Was this man dangerous?

While he was busy glancing, I leaned and reached for his odd blade. My finger laid close to the handle. But he was swifter and swung the blade at me. The tip laid close to my neck, a single breath would impale my neck. "Listen, lady. I just saved your ass. Who gives you the right to attack me?" He said, in whispers and close to my face. He lowered his blade and returned it to his waist. "The police will follow you and chase after you. Give me the girl and I will take her to a sanctuary." He said. A sanctuary? A place where breast or dicks will matter no more? Or a trap to turn the girl in for profit.

Part of me wanted to scream and punched him in the face. But the other part of me wanted to turn her in and go after my mother. There is no doubt my mother will face death because of my naive actions. "I must go after my mother. The police will be rushing to her front door and take her to the plaza." I said. The bearded man chuckled, a tear dripping from his eye. "A funny one huh? By this point, your mother is as good as dead." A fire flared in my heart as I grabbed the bearded man's shoulders and pinned him to the wall. "Laugh at my face or help me find & rescue my mother," I said. The bearded man furrowed his brows at me and shoved me away. "I rescue a person and my reward is to do a favor? Bah!" He said as he began walking away.

"Please, sir! That young lady helped me, without her I would have been beaten or worse. Please, sir, help her find her mother!" The young girl said. The bearded man looked away as if the words of the young girl triggered something. A regretful memory or a sorrow memory. "Fine. If my research is correct, which it always is, her death will be until tomorrow's sunset." If my research is correct? Did this male study the village of the breast? "We have enough time to take you to a sanctuary and load up on gear. Follow me." He said. We would not have had time, the police officer would sentence my mother to death at full speed. I reached for the bearded man's shoulder, "We do not have time! They will capture her and kill her!" I said. The bearded man turned around, his expression was different. His sharp golden eyes stared into mine, "If you keep worrying about her death, time will kill her. We will rescue her. But you will do me a favor in return."

I nodded, with a sigh, I followed them. We walked in the shades of darkness, traverse through the few pots. Along the streets we saw the streets flooded with women, all gossiping about the event that took place. And countless of police officers raiding the streets to find us. Although with a flock of big chested women, the police officers can hardly make it through without squeezing through uncomfortable spots. The bearded man slowed his pace and pointed at the sun.

"We will head for the direction of the sun. We will use the rope to slowly climb down." He said. Never before have I seen that past the buildings laid a great field, grassy terrain as far as the eye could see. For years, we assume there was more land but because of the buildings, we could never see it. We stared at the sun that was beginning to set. A warm droplet fell from my cheek into my hand. "What? Never seen a sunset before?" The bearded man asked. I wiped my face and shook my head, "Never. The buildings covered it." I said. The young girl stepped up and gazed in awe.

The bearded man pointed again at the sun, "If we cross the plains we should arrive at my hideout. And farther away there is a forest, a sea of trees that goes beyond infinity. Untouched and unspoken, except me of course." The sanctuary he spoke off. "Free from corruption, slaving our time away..." In unison, we both said, "...and live a life of our choice." We stared each other as if the sun journey through the eyes of each. "Mr. Beard Guy! I think that lady saw us!" Without hesitation, the bearded man pulled his rope from his waist and flung it down. "Hurry we need to escape!" The little girl held onto the rope and carefully slid down. I went in next and slide with haste. Just from a distance, we could hear the cops call out, "The criminals are on the roof!" The bearded man tied his rope to a nearby pole and began sliding down. Gunfire erupted.

Upon reaching the ground, we began running. I looked back and saw more bullets fly into the sky. My heart raced and my feet ached, yet I felt a thrill, a rush that pulsed through me. "What about your rope?" I said as we ran. "Don't worry about it, they are cowards to follow us!" He said. We ran, even when our chest felt like they were ready to burst, we ran towards the sun. A great door opened and a journey awaited. My path begins and my destiny awaits.