A Bakery and a Shoe Store

Anthousa Everett was a woman of many words. Bright, happy, encouraging words that crowded a room in a most delightful way. She loved people; she loved to watch them as she rolled out the dough at Sweetheart Bakery, her old professor's bakery. She loved the way people expressed love: flowers, chocolates, and, her personal favorite, cupcakes. Chocolate cupcakes, red velvet cupcakes, vanilla cupcakes were beautiful expressions of love that she so enjoyed to make. Anthousa was a woman that loved fiercely, but loved quietly.

Across the way, in a local shoe store named Parakletos, the sole receiver of this fiery love was a man named Hank Johnson. He stood tall and proud in Anthousa's heart, a wonderful friend with a bit of an attitude problem. They shared the closest bond; they had met by chance on a sunny day in late July...

~Flashback to one year previous.~

"I'm going to be late. I'm going to be late and it's my first day. That darn cat. Plant just had to sleep on my nice, cat hair-free uniform for today because he just knew I would have to wash it. I know he didn't know what he was doing, he's a cat, but still..." Anthousa muttered to herself, walking briskly down the cobbled street to Sweetheart Bakery. She continued this tirade until she finally stepped into the shop, smelled the warm scent of baking bread, and paused to soak it in. She stood just inside the door, eyes closed in appreciation of the smell, one she had almost forgotten. Her mother used to bake bread. Her mother had died two years previous.

Mr. Hawkins, the owner of Sweetheart Bakery, pulled her back into reality with a tap on the shoulder with a flour coated finger. She blinked, took a second to realize who was in front of her, and began a stuttering apology.

"Oh, Mr. Hawkins! I'm so sorry I'm late! Y-you see, I had to rewash my uniform because of my c-cat had slept on it and I hadn't realized it and I realize it's already eleven a-and you opened t-two hours ago-"

"My dear, hush. It's less than stellar to be late on your first day, but in the case of my favorite former English student, I'll make an exception. Go see Rebecca, she'll show you how to set out the bread and ice the cupcakes," Mr. Hawkins interrupted. He smiled and pointed toward a girl at the counter with huge earrings and braces.

Anthousa nodded and headed to the counter. The day passed fairly quickly and with very few hitch ups: she tipped over the bowl of icing once and didn't flour the counter before rolling out the dough, but overall, it was a successful first day. Rebecca was a huge amount of help; as a senior at Brilliant High, she'd worked at the bakery every summer since her sophmore year. She definitely knew her way around some bread.

Mr. Hawkins gathered up his hat and coat, and congratulated Anthousa on a good first day.

"Rebecca can close up for me, but you did very well today. I've been meaning to tell you that since you iced that rose cupcake so well," he said, patting her shoulder and heading to the door. "Don't forget to turn the oven off!" The bell on top of the door tinkled softly as he left. He held the door open for the guy who came in behind him, reminding him that they closed in thirty minutes.

The man came up to the counter just as Rebecca headed to the stock room to check the bakery's stock. Anthousa dusted off her hands on her apron and looked up at his face. Her first impression based on his face was that he was slightly arrogant, yet attractive.

"What can I help you with, sir?"

He stopped looking at the cake display and looked at her, a cocky grin spreading across his face. "How can I order anything sweet when you work here? Obviously this bakery's goods do not match the attractiveness of its employees," he said smoothly, his voice like silk.

Anthousa flushed in both flattery and offense. She was taken aback of this unashamed stranger handing out compliments to a person he barely knows. Or perhaps she did know him? Her eyes strayed to his uniform, a blue collared shirt with the word 'Parakletos' printed on the left side of his chest. After some quick thinking, she realized she only recognised the store he worked for (that was located opposite the bakery) and not him.