5: Broken Wings

Issac had seen the pictures of the boys, clothed as well as unclothed, taken by the paparazzi. Unfortunately for me, I happened to be in more than a few of the unclothed pictures. 

I surprisingly didn't get fired for this little incident. Brian had pulled me aside to discuss what happened. He told me he had thought about letting me go but...

"...The boys, they like you. They genuinely like you. And I saw how you were hitting it off with them before everything went haywire..."

This somehow didn't make me feel any better; I felt like I was getting a pass just because I'm a pretty girl. Alas, I wasn't able to get a pass from Issac.

"I thought I made myself perfectly clear, Gail. I specifically stated I didn't want you frolicking about with those Beatles and then today I see your face plastered next to the boys, half-naked, on some rag!" he had wailed. 

"This is it, Gail, we're through..." he had said calmly. 

As he spoke these words to me over the phone, I felt an intense crushing sensation in my heart. I understood why he was upset, but it didn't make his rash decision to call us off hurt any less. Everything I had built up with him over the past two years was now gone in a flash. 

My dad gave me even less of a break. Seemingly, as soon as I had just gotten done talking to Issac, the phone rang again. With slight trepidation, I answered it.

"Hello..?" I began hesitantly.

"Gail, how fucking could you!?" I heard him bellow on the other end. I gulped, my worst fears realized.

"I had planned everything out for you! You were going to live with a well-off man in a nice home in Birmingham but you fucked it all up, you ungrateful bitch!" 

All I could do was sob and plead for his forgiveness, just as I had always done.

***

As I sank in my chair, the next morning, only one question was burning through my mind: What am I supposed to do now? 

I decided to get out of my cramped office in favor of some fresh air. I didn't get very far, however, before running into Neil...

"Oh, hey, Gail!" Neil raised his eyebrows and greeted me with a suspicious smile and cheerfulness to his tone. 

I looked down despondently, "Hey..."

Neil promptly lowered his spirits to match mine, "I...heard about what happened with your boyfriend..." 

Oh? And how is this any of your business? I thought. But I couldn't find the energy to say anything in response, so I continued to look down.

"I'm just saying," he continued, his hand now lightly grazing my shoulder. "If you need anyone to comfort you and keep you company, I'm available..." a sneaky smirk appeared on his face as he said this.

I immediately pulled away, disgusted. "How dare you!? I just got dumped and now you're taking advantage of me!? You're a low-life scoundrel!" 

***

Discernibly heated, I stormed off. I was so inflamed with rage and devastation that I didn't see John approaching in my direction.

As we brushed up against each other, I felt his hand gently touch the same place that Neil had just rubbed with his own hand.

"Abbie, hey! Ringo told me what happened and I..."

At that moment, I snapped. It was inappropriate and infuriating enough that Neil had hit on me knowing I was vulnerable, now John was going to try to come on to me too!?

"Get off me!!!" I screamed. I then ran as far away from everyone as I could get, crying hysterically.

"I JUST WANTED TO ASK IF SHE WAS BLOODY ALRIGHT!!!" I heard John shout angrily.

"Does she bloody look alright!?" George fired back.

***

Later that day, after I managed to calm down some, I went back into my office. As I passed by the studio, I saw all the boys and their birds hanging out with them. Great. Just what I needed -- a show of the Fab Four and their Fab Gals, happily coupled up and in love.

However, upon closer inspection, I saw that they weren't actually looking too happy. John shot a stern glance at me, obviously mad that I had undeservedly lashed out on him earlier. Cynthia, sitting next to him, looked hopeless and beat with the characteristic dead look in her eyes. George and Pattie had their own eyes closed in anguish, trying their hardest to shut out the rest of the world. Paul was looking especially miserable; Jane looked visibly unhappy with him and kept sending daggers his way. It felt as though she noticed me for a split second, but it very well could have been in my imagination.

Maureen and Ringo seemed to be the only ones in a relatively good mood.

"Hi, Gail!" Maureen greeted me with a warm, friendly smile.

"Hi..." I replied feebly, feeling awkward and unsure of how to proceed. Seeing as most everyone seemed to be having an awful day, I decided it was best to quickly get myself out of there and seclude in my office.

***

When I crawled back out that night, I saw that the place had been trashed. I guess the boys and their birds managed to get out of their funk and have a little fun after all. There were empty liquor bottles everywhere and the room wreaked of alcohol. Sighing, I resigned to my work and began to clean up after them. 

A few moments later, I heard the door crack open and saw that Paul and Jane had come back. In panic, I hastily hid behind my office door.

Paul appeared to still be a bit intoxicated. He giggled giddily and placed a finger on Jane's lips. 

"Come on, Jane, let's make out!" he requested excitedly. 

"No, Paul," she replied firmly. 

Paul's face instantly fell to a boyish pout, "Aw, come on! It feels like we haven't shagged in weeks!"

Jane shook her head, "I have to get some rest, Paul. I leave for my next film tomorrow morning..."

Paul sulked, "Just once, can't you skip a film and stay with me..?"

"Acting is my passion, Paul, and it's my job. I never ask you to skip out on an album!" Jane retorted. 

Paul looked sullen for a second, but then suddenly perked up, "Jane, have you ever thought about going blonde? You'd look just like Brigitte Bardot!"

Jane rolled her eyes and sighed as if she had heard this before, "Goodnight, Paul..."

Paul's eyes twinkled with hurt, "Goodnight, Jane..." 

***

I waited until they had both left the room and were out of sight. My head was still spinning from the past couple days' events and I wasn't sure what to make of it all. All I knew was that I desperately needed some sleep...