9: Squabbles in the Studio

The next morning, Paul was on his sixth cup of tea. The pieces were finally starting to come together for the Rubber Soul record, so I'm sure the extra fuel was needed. However, I also felt he had me running back and forth because he wanted to see more of me. 

His eyes twinkled over at me as I rushed over, serving him his latest cuppa. 

"Gail, Gail, Gail. Always a pleasure to see your beautiful face. I never get tired of it!" he expressed with a flirtatious smirk. 

George, who was standing behind him, guitar in tow, rolled his eyes in irritation, "This coming from the lad who couldn't even bloody look her in the eye a week ago..." 

I couldn't help but giggle. Paul narrowed his eyes briefly at him but didn't respond. 

Suddenly, Beatles arranger George Martin appeared alongside engineer Norman Smith. 

Mr. Martin eyed me pleasantly, "Good morning to you, Gail! I'm sure the boys have been keeping you plenty busy..." he chuckled and shot a knowing glance at Paul.

Once again, I giggled, hiding the blush prominently forming on my face with my hands. Paul looked down and twiddled his thumbs, looking slightly uncomfortable.

"I trust you boys have been working very hard on the album..." Mr. Martin asserted, still smiling knowingly.

"Yes sir, we are!" George grinned and saluted his senior producer. 

Mr. Martin shook his head and simpered, "Where are the other two?"

"Yes, pray tell, what shenanigans are Lennon and Starkey up to now?" Mr. Smith chimed in cynically. 

"Who knows..." Paul mumbled dryly as he sipped his tea. 

"I'M HERE!" John announced boisterously. "Top of the morning to you all! Normie, Georgie, other Georgie...and oh, look, if it ain't Paul and Abbie, looking as cutesy as ever!"

We all cast an uneasy glance at one another; he was in one of those moods, wasn't he?

Ringo followed closely behind, looking exhausted. He yawned softly, "Greetings, everyone..."

Rubbing his forehead in distress, Paul simply handed me the mug. "Gail, if you don't mind, dear, I think I'm gonna need just one more cuppa..."

***

If I needed someone to love
You're the one that I'd be thinking of
If I needed someone

If I had some more time to spend

Then I guess I'd be with you my friend
If I needed someone

Had you come some other day then

It might not have been like this
But you see now I'm too much in love

Carve your number on my wall and

Maybe you will get a call from me
If I needed someone

Aah, aah, aah, aah

If I had some more time to spend

Then I guess I'd be with you my friend
If I needed someone
Then I guess I'd be with you my friend
If I needed someone

Had you come some other day then

It might not have been like this
But you see now I'm too much in love

Carve your number on my wall and