Chapter 6

Eve Baird couldn't quite wrap her mind around what had happened this day. Oh in her career, she'd seen plenty of weird, plenty of dangerous. None of the weird had measured up to these six months at the Library, however, and if she'd really thought that minotaurs, mummies, dragons in man costumes and splintering across the universe to spread good will had been the weirdest things she'd ever experience, well today had proven her wrong. Crossing three alternate universes, finding out her alter had been a mother figure for Ezekiel and the lover of at least Stone, if not both he and Cassandra . . . . She cringed and shook her head. She tried to replace the unsettling feel of that Stone's lips on hers with the real Stone's much more brotherly kiss to her forehead, one of the last things she'd thought she'd ever feel. If she had died that day, she wouldn't have minded dying for these people, taking the blow for her Librarian and dying in the arms of her three charges. She had a family she loved dearly, but life had scattered them to the four corners of the globe. So it was this new makeshift family, two little brothers and a sister, plus whatever Jenkins was, that she was closest to. She didn't die today, but she would make that sacrifice again and again for them.

They'd all been so scared today, Stone had shown cracks in his armor, Cassandra had screamed and Ezekiel had suddenly acted his age instead of the worldly thief he usually let the world see. She hoped they'd all gone home and were recovering from this day in their own ways.

As for her, she could really use a stiff drink. . . and a massage. But a stiff drink was the first thing on her to do list.

She found Ezekiel alone in the Annex, an unfinished cup of tea sitting in front of him. Jenkins had pressed cups on every one being of the opinion that a cuppa cured all ills.

"Where's everyone else?" she asked him, taking the seat across from him.

"I think Cassandra and Stone left," Ezekiel shrugged. "Jenkins is in his lab and Flynn. . . ."

Flynn chose that moment to pop back through the door which was set up to connect to the Library. Jenkins had explained that until they figured out a better solution they would have to use the Back Door to access the Library.

Flynn actually looked the most subdued she'd ever seen him and a bit worried too. "Why aren't you resting?"

Ah, it was worry toward her. That she could handle. "I'm sitting down. Besides, I'm fine. Good as new as you said. What I could really use is a drink."

Ezekiel, who also seemed very down for him, visibly perked up at that. "Oh, I'm in."

They both looked at Flynn. He shrugged. "I suppose I could go for a drink."

Baird smiled, "I know Jenkins will probably decline as he'd probably prefer to savor his Scotch in peace. I do wish Stone and Cassandra were here." She chuckled, "who knows, maybe they went for a drink together."

Ezekiel snorted but Flynn looked thoughtful.

"Things are better between them, aren't they? I mean they seem much more friendly."

"As far as I can tell," Baird said, getting up and leading the way to the street door. "Though I imagine Stone probably did go for a drink and Cassandra went for a bath. Which actually sounds like that'll be my next step after a drink."

"That sounds lovely," Flynn said a bit wistfully.

Behind them Ezekiel groaned. "Don't make me regret going out with you."

Baird laughed, a much needed one as they headed out into the fresh air.

--

"Are you and Daddy okay, Andra?" Max had asked after both Jacob and Cassandra had taken turns hugging him tightly. Jacob had let Cassandra go first and was a long time releasing his son, burying his face in the child's hair. Cassandra was quite certain that had been to hide tears from both of them. Today had been rough, first Lamia, then Baird, but Baird had stopped breathing in Jacob's arms . . .and as painful as that moment had been for her, Cassandra imagined that it was even worse for Stone.