20 DAYS OF IRENE

20/500

wendy poked her head inside seulgi's room, observing her. she noticed that seulgi is putting on makeup at 11 in the morning. seulgi? makeup? in the morning? wendy could notice something unusual going on.

"what in the world are you doing?" said wendy.

seulgi was startled and turned her head to wendy, "what? i'm just putting makeup."

"in the morning! please.. we've been roommates for how long? i know you never wear makeup for any occasion whatsoever."

"well... somehow i need it."

"girl. you're beautiful just as you are. you don't need those makeup honey."

wendy stepped in the room with vulnerable steps, she stood behind seulgi and tied seulgi's hair in a ponytail - just like the old days. they had been roommates ever since they  got into college, pulling all-nighters and cheating on assignments. every morning wendy would greet seulgi with a touch that seulgi find solace in, there was no doubt wendy was her sister she never had. 

wendy spoke up, "tell me what's going on, yeah?" 

seulgi sighed and sat her on her bed. "what if she doesn't like me? like you know - what if i get friendzoned... again!"

wendy finally got the pieces together. it was like her brain knew exactly what was going on. "so this is all about irene!"

"it's always about irene! she's... ugh. she likes red velvet, she reads classic and she remembers my name! we have so much in common, it's crazy."

wendy rolled her eyes and gripped both of seulgi's shoulders, staring in seulgi's hazel wood eyes, "just because she likes the bizzaro crap you do doesn't mean she's your soul mate."

-

seulgi had planned to ask irene on a date but she never had the courage to do so. until irene brought it up. she wanted to celebrate a special occasion. over the past few days, irene and seulgi got paired up for a group project and it was marked as the highest in class. and for that, irene was truly grateful for the help seulgi had given - she wanted to bring seulgi out for a drink.

and seulgi really thought it was just the both of them, like a date, you know? but seulgi realized that they were actually going with another group, which turned out to be - joy and wendy. "fucking great," seulgi thought to herself.

the bar was close to the campus, so they had to walk. joy and wendy was far at the front so seulgi took this opportunity to start a conversation with irene.

"hey... quick question, why did you invite them?" said seulgi. she was curious, of course. but one thing she wanted to do was to get in irene's head - know what and how she's thinking. after all, irene is a secretive and mysterious girl and it's not easy to know what's going on in her mind.

"oh. because they helped me to get the materials when i didn't have the time too. also they were marked second highest after us. i thought it would be fun for them to join us, plus, aren't they your friends?"

"friends? more like aliens i know from mars."

joy and wendy turned their head back and shouted, "WE CAN HEAR YOU KANG SEULGI!"

and all irene and seulgi did was burst out laughing. 

-

all of them got a seat and there was nothing but silence that filled the space within them. joy and wendy was constantly exchanging looks at seulgi, encouraging her to speak up. and after a few drinks, she finally did.

"so, do you have a girlfriend?" said seulgi.

"i don't. i mean, i don't really want a girlfriend right now." irene spoke in a very calm manner, despite knowing that it would be a very heavy topic over a beer.

"what, are you straight?" asked joy. it was obvious that she was drunk and that question did not help at all. 

"what no." said irene. and there was a sigh of relief coming from seulgi. thank god, she thought to herself. "i just don't want a girlfriend right now." irene continued.

"why not?" said wendy, crashing in the conversation.

"i like being on my own. relationships are messy and people's feelings get hurt. who needs it? we're young, we live in one of the most beautiful cities in the world, might as well have fun while we can, right?"

seulgi didn't want to give up, "okay. but what happens if you fall in love?" 

"well, you don't believe that, do you?"

everyone went silent. seulgi exchanged a last look at both of her friends and joy knew exactly what seulgi meant.

"okay! wendy and i are gonna get some drinks.. y'all catch up!" and they left their seat. one thing seulgi doesn't want to happen right now is a bunch of friends who's going to make this awkward conversation even more awkward.

"what do you mean?" said seulgi. continuing where they were left of.

"love. you can't possibly believe in love, do you?" asked irene.

"of course i believe in love. it's love. it's not santa claus."

"what does that word even mean? i've been in multiple relationships before and i don't think i ever seen it. plus most marriages end in divorces nowadays. there's no such thing as love, it's fantasy."

seulgi was taken aback by what irene had said, "well.. i have to disagree."

irene tilted her head, "well.. what am i missing then?"

"i think. you know when you feel it."

irene drank the last sip of her beer and smiled, "i guess we can always agree to disagree."

-

after that conversation, seulgi thought the night would be awkward but surprisingly, she's gotten closer to irene. and her feelings towards her still hasn't changed. irene was just as amazing as the first day she met her.

but of course, wendy and joy was drunk as hell and the only sober ones around was irene and seulgi themselves. and seulgi had thought this was interesting - instead of drinking and get drunk, they had a perfectly intellectual conversation over laughter and thoughts.

they got out from the bar and seulgi was sad to part ways with irene, after all, school is the only place where they get to see each other and summer break had officially start. maybe this is goodbye. maybe this is hello to something new.

"i had a fun time, seulgi." said irene. as she kissed seulgi on her blushing cheeks. "let's keep having fun together and save the serious time for the next two months."

-

[A/N i updated!!! sorry you guys have to read again a few chapters back to know what's going on but i'm so excited to be writing this again!!]