Chapter 4

I managed to get Ivar and myself to the field we use for training. I glanced around while my warriors. I could only hope my father didn't turn some of them against me.

"Attention!" I yelled.

"Yes princess!" All my warriors said.

I nodded as I looked at them all. "How many of you knew of King Remus having meetings with my father?" My warriors were silent. "Well, my father and King Remus have been making plans for something. I am going to find out what is, but I want you all to remain here and speak of this to no one."

"Yes princess." All the warriors said then continued training.

"Well, I guess you don't need my help anymore." Ivar said.

"At the moment, no I don't." I said quietly as I looked down.

"Good..." Ivar made his way toward the river.

I took in a deep breath as I walked back to the castle. As I approached the door I was grabbed by two men. "Unhand me at once!" I tried to get free.

"Not all the warriors are loyal to you Lir..." My father said. "Remove her weapons."

"That's alright..." I smirked. I kicked the man in front of me then punched the other in the face. I dropped down as I swung my leg behind the man's feet causing him to fall.

"I really don't want to have to harm my own daughter..."

"You couldn't harm me. You are too weak to try yourself." I snapped.

"Once the Romans arrive you will be out numbered." My father said. "This place will be rubble and ashes."

"Why destroy your own kingdom?"

"He's too ambitious..." Oluf said from behind me.

"It would seem so." I agreed. I turned slightly and one of the warriors grabbed me. The other grabbed Oluf.

"Take her to the ship. I'm sure Prince Aries would love to marry her."

"Let go of me!" I tried getting free. The warrior started making his way toward the docks.

"Release her or the king loses his head!"

The warrior turned slightly. Ivar had my father on his knees with a sword blade pressed against his throat. I was released and I walked over to my father. "I will need your help after all Ivar..." I kept my eyes on my father.

"What do you want to do with him?" Ivar asked as I picked up my weapons.

"Kill his supporters, but keep him alive... He can be the last to die..." I said quietly.

"You would kill your own father?" My father asked.

"You are not my father.... Not anymore." I said coldly.

My fathers supporters were killed as my father was locked away. I wasn't thrilled about teaming with Ivar, but we needed all the help we could get for when the Romans arrive.

"What changed your mind?" Oluf asked as I helped prepare everything needed for battle.

"About what?" I asked curiously.

"Having Ivar's help." Oluf said as he looked towards Ivar.

"I don't know..." I said quietly as I continued my work.

"You are falling for him aren't you?" Oluf asked.

"Oluf, I am working.. Either make yourself useful or leave." I huffed.

"Fine, fine..." Oluf held up his hands then went back to work.

I let out a deep breath and helped some of the others in their work. I glanced over at Ivar who was sharpening all the ax blades. I wasn't sure what exactly changed my mind, but I know at the time he was the only one that could help right now.

I watched as Ivar checked the blade before putting it back to the grinder. Ivar checked the blade once more and as he set the ax with the freshly sharpened ones his eyes shifted to mine.

I looked away slowly as I turned slightly. I went to help another as I tried to keep myself focused task at hand.

"Lir!" Oluf called. I looked toward him for a moment then made my way to him. "A Roman warrior is here." Oluf pointed.

"Let him pass..." I said then walked over to Ivar. "There is a rider coming.. I told Oluf to let him pass."

Ivar glanced back at the gates. "Alright..." He eased himself up with his crutch and walked over to his men.

The man dismounted and walked over to me. "I am here to speak with your king."

"I'm afraid the king is not here at the moment. Why do you wish to see him?" I asked.

"It is a private matter to only be discussed with him."

I shook my head as I turned slightly. "Ivar, perhaps you could get him to talk."

"Ivar?" The man repeated.

Ivar stood next to me as he stared at the man. "Relieve him of his weapons... And I don't believe I saw him kneel before the princess..."

His men took all his weapons then forced him to kneel. "Where is the king?"

"Speak of the matter you wish to discuss with the king... It has something to do with this kingdom..." Ivar glared.

"I will not tell you." He spat.

Ivar pulled out his ax. "Hold him and extend one arm out." He said as he smirked. "You don't speak, you lose an arm." Ivar got closer and raised the ax up.

"Our king offered to make him a co-ruler!" The man shouted.

"Your king offered to make my father a co-ruler in exchange for what?" I glared.

"If he destroyed this entire kingdom and it's people..."

"Well, that is not going to happen." Ivar looked at me.

"Kill him..." I said darkly. Ivar swung the ax at the man's neck killing him.

"What are we going to do about the king?" One of his men asked.

"He will die." I said as I walked away.